"we're holding our own"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

This phrase has become my goto about how things are going. Life does change in an instant.  While I am not here to lament  about my own at the moment as things are o.k., I can't say the same for others.  I am reminded that nov 10th marked the 43rd anniversary of the sinking of the mighty fitz officially known as the Edmund Fitzgerald  and that phrase  being the last message it's captain had sent out before disappearing from sight and radar.  it currently rests in a watery Grave under 535 feet of water in Lake Superior with all 29 of it's crew onboard.  The message was a response to a question  from  a ship(Anderson) that was traveling with it during  hurricane force winds and horrible weather on the lake. By the time  these transmissions had taken place the might fitz was already in trouble. It had a bad list, lost all radar, had the water pumps going as it was taking on water and had damage to the deck of the boat.

7:10 PM
Radio transmission between the Anderson and the Fitzgerald. The Fitzgerald is still being followed by the Arthur M. Anderson. They are about 10 miles behind the Fitzgerald.

Anderson: "Fitzgerald, this is the Anderson. Have you checked down?"

Fitzgerald: "Yes we have."

Anderson: "Fitzgerald, we are about 10 miles behind you, and gaining about 1 1/2 miles per hour. Fitzgerald, there is a target 19 miles ahead of us. So the target would be 9 miles on ahead of you."

Fitzgerald: "Well, am I going to clear?"

Anderson: "Yes. He is going to pass to the west of you."

Fitzgerald: "Well, fine."

Anderson: "By the way, Fitzgerald, how are you making out with your problem?"

Fitzgerald: "We are holding our own."

Anderson: "Okay, fine. I'll be talking to you later."

only later never happened.

RIP....  :(

Well song aside, It's a very interesting tragedy.  I hate to say that but it is.  While there are theories, no one knows the exact cause of why it sank. To read the the complete copy of radio chatter takes it to a whole other level.  Volumes have been written on the subject.  Maybe it's because it was immortalized in song?  For me having been on those lakes, having seen the weather be bad out there I can only imagine what it was like on a boat that is over 700 feet in length. 

Latest posts

Back