Power Transformer RCA BA-2C

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roustabout

Hi, i need a replacement for a RCA BA-2C power transformer. Maybe someone does that before and knows where to find the right one...thanks a million, roustabout

Big thanks!
But is there another option? Some new transformer that would fit? In my understanding it's:
Pri 110v
Sek1 230v-0-230v
Sek2 6.3v-0-6.3v  1.2A
Is that correct?

That's why i started this post. I need help to find the right transformer. I'm looking for one with the right specs. The information i have is from the schematic.

What Doug is referring to is decreasing the value of the unit by using a non-original part.  Also, using a transformer with adequate shielding.  I once repaired a BA-2C using a power transformer from an old Akai reel-to-reel.  I used a large power resistor to get the B+ correct, but the unit definitely was not as quiet as it should have been.  Perhaps building a metal box around the transformer would have helped.  Still, it was not worth as much as a stock unit.

Attachments

• BA2CRight.jpg
    BA2CRight.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Ah ok, i did not understand that. Can someone help me with the specs of the power transformer or an equivalent? Thanks roustabout

The specs are on the schematic.
heater: 6.3v 1.2A
B+: 230v

Are you replacing the power transformer on a original vintage unit or are you building a clone?
If you are working with an original unit you should absolutely get the vintage one off ebay. You will not be able to find a different one that will fit & work properly.

If you are building a clone, I can suggest some transformers, as I built a BA-2 a couple years ago.

I built a few BA-2 clones and had local toroid winder do the power transformer. Output stage needs ~~4mA, 10-15mA at 200-250V max, mine have solid state rectifiers. This is not much power.
I asked same winder to wind PT with smaller width and bigger height for another project, it went well. You might do the same and put it in original can, or rewind original PT which is even better and should be easy job. If you let me know dimensions of the can i can ask him if his would fit, guess it should. Having original is the way to go imo too.

Latest posts

Back