DISA Vari-mu, add variable release/attack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio Mollan

Hi,
Can anyone point me in the right direction for adding variable release and attack for this limiter. I have a hunch C1 and R4 has something to do with it.

larger value capacitor = slower release ?
thanks
/
Emil

Attachments

• Disa91n_02_limiter.gif
    Disa91n_02_limiter.gif
    102.6 KB · Views: 85
C1/R4 is release.  Attack is fixed at 'fastest possible', as dictated by other circuit constraints.  Insert series resistance before C1/R4 to slow it. 

These things are highly interactive, if you do it as simple adjustable resistances, changing one affects the other.  Some units change the C and the R to keep adjustments more separate. 

Thanks guys.
Ok so C1/R4 are release. You know what, I'll leve it as it is. don't fix it if it aint broken right.

I should say they are ’primarily’ release, there is still the charge time of the cap which is part of the attack.  At any rate it’s meant to be as fast as possible. 

Ok I am going to investigate this further. After having used it for a couple of weeks i feel i would want the option of altering the envelope. Especially the attack.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Preferably i would like to have two potentiometers for attack and release with a switch to flip between the pots and original time constants.
Help!

EmRR said:
I should say they are ’primarily’ release, there is still the charge time of the cap which is part of the attack.  At any rate it’s meant to be as fast as possible.

How about adding a series pot before C1/R4 for a variable release, as you said, and add a switch witch a couple alternative values for C1. Say 1u5, 2u2 and 4u7? A pot for the attack would be better but i don't know how that would be done.

Studio Mollan said:
Ok I am going to investigate this further. After having used it for a couple of weeks i feel i would want the option of altering the envelope. Especially the attack.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Preferably i would like to have two potentiometers for attack and release with a switch to flip between the pots and original time constants.
Help!

Latest posts

Back