Where does LA2A distortion come from?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It comes from compression just like in all compressors. When the rate of attack / release is fast enough to track the signal it will distort lower frequencies. If you look at bursts of tone on an oscilloscope you can really see how the waveform is shaped by rapid changes in level.

..... and the LA2A switched for the meter displaying output level VU adds quite a bit of distortion in the mids.

I have a couple of Drip opto modules and I didn't notice any unusual distortions ...  I may just check that again against a nos urei to that I have but never used.

In my measurements, I find the output amp to be very clean unless you open it right up.  And then it's usually the subsequent piece in the chain that distorts, not the la2a.

In my own builds, I find the distortion is more about how high of a signal I send to it, and the step-up ratio of the input transformer.

That and how hard you want to smash it down!

In my case,

One unit  has a Sowter input traffo which is smallish in size - it isn't all that great with hot, bassy signals. I have to take care not to push it too hard with say a tube preamp feeding it.

Other unit has some much larger Jensens and it is much more forgiving of input level with respect to overall THD.

Back