Civility breaking out?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I don't want to get to far out over my skis, but the recent decision to not invite a "comedian" (cough) to the WH correspondent's dinner (the main speaker will be a respected writer), seems like evidence of backing away from the enmity cliff...

Even the "fair and balanced" news casts think they are OK if they present spokesmen (people?) from both sides, but typically they both present the hyperbolic more extreme partisan Left and Right wing talking points, more like fighting words to instigate conflict than thoughtful fact based discussion.

I remain optimistic and believe most people are as weary as I am of the perpetual us vs them battles....

Lets hope...

JR

Sirrah, I'll teach thee a speech.

Mark it, nuncle.
    Have more than thou showest,
    Speak less than thou knowest,
    Lend less than thou owest,
    Ride more than thou goest,
    Learn more than thou trowest,
    Set less than thou throwest;
    Leave thy drink and thy whore,
    And keep in-a-door,
    And thou shalt have more
    Than two tens to a score.

A roast is not supposed to be civil, it's supposed to remind a powerful individual of humility.

I don't mean the following as a political statement, but only an observation of human nature: there is a genuine difference in how people who lean one way or the other view depreciating humor (self- or otherwise). I suspect it has to do with how people value personal status of an individual, authority figure, or themselves.

In any case, it's a bunch of people in an industry all talking to themselves. Who cares who they invite to talk to themselves? President Trump wouldn't have attended anyway.

midwayfair said:
    Sirrah, I'll teach thee a speech.

Mark it, nuncle.
    Have more than thou showest,
    Speak less than thou knowest,
    Lend less than thou owest,
    Ride more than thou goest,
    Learn more than thou trowest,
    Set less than thou throwest;
    Leave thy drink and thy whore,
    And keep in-a-door,
    And thou shalt have more
    Than two tens to a score.

A roast is not supposed to be civil, it's supposed to remind a powerful individual of humility.

I don't mean the following as a political statement, but only an observation of human nature: there is a genuine difference in how people who lean one way or the other view depreciating humor (self- or otherwise). I suspect it has to do with how people value personal status of an individual, authority figure, or themselves.

In any case, it's a bunch of people in an industry all talking to themselves. Who cares who they invite to talk to themselves? President Trump wouldn't have attended anyway.
It is a charity that does actual good works with the money raised, so a return to normalcy with friendlier self-deprecatory humor skewering both political parties could be a win-win for all involved. The swamp is running low on good will. I really hope this signals a change in direction, or softening of the wrong direction.

JR

Latest posts

Back