K49 capsule quality control questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iturnknobs

So, I purchased a genuine K49 capsule from a reputable distributor. The screw heads holding down the membrane are significantly marred and the diaphragm membrane is noticeably non-concentric with the rest of the assembly. Given the reputation of Neumann products and the price tag alone, I thought this would be a pristine specimen. Thiersch products have appeared flawless every time I've worked with one. Should I return this item, or am I just being too picky? Can't post image for security reasons. ???

Return the K49 !
This is not acceptable.
This is the first time I heard this about a Neumann aftersales product.
This capsule cost nearly 1000$ so it should be perfect.

"non concentric" membrane  is something well known and doesn't affect the sound.
however, i've never seen a brand new Neumann capsule with tweaked screws.
this capsule has been probably tweaked by someone, it is not brand new, and thus i'd return it...

granger.frederic said:
"non concentric" membrane  is something well known and doesn't affect the sound.
however, i've never seen a brand new Neumann capsule with tweaked screws.
this capsule has been probably tweaked by someone, it is not brand new, and thus i'd return it...

Agree with Fred here, out of center gold surface you can find from time to time in Neumann capsules. It doesn't affect the sound.  Marred screws? For now i didn't found such thing in any Neumann capsule which wasn't reskineed before, but even reskinned usual have screws in good condition,

Agree with others, sounds like that capsule has been violated. I would return it, especially at that cost. I bought one for my U47 build and it’s flawless.

Latest posts

Back