Budget "C12" capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This pic and the way backplates look i would say it is k67. Gold layer also seems too thick to me.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0439/0953/products/W_P-414-side-inside.jpg?v=1537991065

IMHO Peluso uses Røde capsule for this model. Might be re skined, or "tuned" which i doubt, but if you ask me this is the same capsule. Even wire terminals seem to be the same.

http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/rode/NT2A-circuit.jpg

It's the Peluso CEK-12 as far as I can tell:

http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/parts/Capsules.html

The screws on the Peluso capsule are philips, the Rode is flat head. I could be mistaken, but the ring on the Peluso appears to have a more pronounced bezel than that of the Rode. I'd say at the very least it's a reskin if not completely different capsule.

Anybody try that mic yet? From what I've heard Peluso's CEK12 isn't any better than the RK12 is. (This is going by descriptions of the capsules and mics using them from Fox Audio Research)

kingkorg said:
Røde uses philips on newer models as well.
http://cdn2.rode.com/images/nt1/capsule.png

Do you mean capsules? I wasn't even aware Philips made those. Interesting...

Anybody know how Maiku CK12s sound compared to Tim's CT12? The only CK12 copies I've really heard and read about are the RK12 by Rayking (edge terminated K67 branded as a CK12 type) and Peluso CEK12 which is apparently brighter than the RK12.
cyrano said:
Do you mean capsules? I wasn't even aware Philips made those. Interesting...
He means phillips head screws.

kingkorg said:
Røde uses philips on newer models as well.
http://cdn2.rode.com/images/nt1/capsule.png

I stand corrected! I can't think of anywhere that I would want to use philips screws on anything, but maybe that's just me :)

Icantthinkofaname said:
Anybody know how Maiku CK12s sound compared to Tim's CT12? The only CK12 copies I've really heard and read about are the RK12 by Rayking (edge terminated K67 branded as a CK12 type) and Peluso CEK12 which is apparently brighter than the RK12.

The CT12 is priced very fairly for a fully authentic chambered CK12. IMO the Maiku is the next best thing if you can't invest in a CT12.  Both easily outperform the RK12/CEK-12.

(RK12/CEK12 are great budget capsules if you're paying $50. Anything more than that is too expensive)

kingkorg said:
IMHO Peluso uses Røde capsule for this model. Might be re skined, or "tuned" which i doubt, but if you ask me this is the same capsule. Even wire terminals seem to be the same.

http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/rode/NT2A-circuit.jpg

Rode capsules are pretty decent. The Peluso falls short of that.

CEK-12 looks like SY/Alctron. Same hyped sound.

rodaffleck said:
I stand corrected! I can't think of anywhere that I would want to use philips screws on anything, but maybe that's just me :)

Ah, the screws, not the capsule. But those are Phillips, not Philips :D

Banzai said:
The CT12 is priced very fairly for a fully authentic chambered CK12. IMO the Maiku is the next best thing if you can't invest in a CT12.  Both easily outperform the RK12/CEK-12.

(RK12/CEK12 are great budget capsules if you're paying $50. Anything more than that is too expensive)
I might pick up a b-stock Maiku. At some point I definitely want to have a C12 or C414 clone using the CT12, it's just outside what I'm willing to spend right now.

cyrano said:
I'm sure Philips has sold microphones before, like back in the late 80's or 90's, if they're not doing it now. I can imagine Philips rebranding those Chinese OEM electret "shotgun" mics and other generic OEM dynamics and maybe some instrument mics as well.

cyrano said:

Double corrected! :)  Still not convinced that the Peluso is a Rode rebrand despite the newer version  kingkorg posted with the Phillips screws making the argument more compelling. I was under the impression that all of Peluso's capsules were fabricated in China with the membrane installed in the US by Peluso. It seems counter to his business model and ought to result in a significantly more expensive capsule compared to his other offerings.

rodaffleck said:
Double corrected! :)  Still not convinced that the Peluso is a Rode rebrand despite the newer version  kingkorg posted with the Phillips screws making the argument more compelling.

The NT1 capsule is something different altogether:

NT1-2013-pcb.jpg

A lot of confusion in this thread. I was reffering to screws on that capsule, and other newer capsules by Røde. I am not saying NT1 capsule is the same as RK12, or Peluso's 414 capsule.

Be aware that Røde is tightly connected to 797 audio, and still uses a lot of their designs.

Røde Classic I has the same capsule as Behringer B2! Love this fact. And love that capsule :)

Anyway you put it, Peluso's capsule has nothing in common with any C414 capsule revision.

As far as i am concerned Peluso doesn't do anything else but mark his capsules with red lacquire. I have never heard any of his mics sound anything like ones they are based on.

They are almost always way brighter. He doesn't even make the effort to match capacitor values to get the sound, but blindly follows schematics. There were some pics, and posts about his catastrophic failures in mic construction here on group diy.

RK12, Peluso's, Røde, 797 audio, sound nothing like Tim's capsule. Even Akg's c3000b capsule is closer than any of these capsules.  Haven't heard Maiku's, but i doubt it can perform like true ct12. Simply becouse of construction. Maybe someone can finaly make some shootouts with those Maikus.

One thing people forget is that sound of true ck12 has very distinct off axis response, polarn pattern response, proximity effect and that comes from it's construction, tuning etc...

While something recorded directly in front of these mics can resemble ck12 when circuit is tuned properly,  if you move further, closer, or have more ambient sound, leakage from other instruments, cymbals, all of these faux ct12 capsules fall appart. And that's where you really hear how close they actualy sound to k67. Which is not bad, but has nothing to do with ck12 sound.

CT12 is still the only capsule i have that needs absolutely no EQ on vocals except maybe low cut.

I said this once and i stand 100% behind that. Get CT12 and put it in any 20$ chinese fet condenser and you'll get closer to c12 sound than any other clone (no matter how manu $) with faux ck12 capsule.

Great read on off axis response, shows how differently constructed capsules react and why it matters.

https://townsendlabs.com/why-mic-axis-matters/

Huge difference in curve change/deviation ck12 vs k47.

Even in cardio you still get a lot of reflections even in a dead room directly in front of a mic.

The percentage and impact of off-axis signal on total sound of microphone is way greater than all fancy capacitor/transformer/tube/fet blah, blah, blah impact on sound.

Banzai said:
IMO the Maiku is the next best thing if you can't invest in a CT12.  Both easily outperform the RK12/CEK-12.

Some day, it’d be cool to truly compare Campbell, BeesNeez, OPR, Maiku, and Luke CK12-style capsules. Listening to a friend’s C12-type mic with a BeesNeez capsule is absolutely amazing! I’d love to compare that one to my Stephen Paul-inspired modded pair some time.

Recording Engineer said:
Some day, it’d be cool to truly compare Campbell, BeesNeez, OPR, Maiku, and Luke CK12-style capsules. Listening to a friend’s C12-type mic with a BeesNeez capsule is absolutely amazing! I’d love to compare that one to my Stephen Paul-inspired modded pair some time.

I'll gladly supply a Maiku for science!

Just to clarify my highly biased opinion:
If I had $300-$400 to spend on a CK12, I wouldn't bother with anything other than Tim's CT12 (sorry to anyone else who makes one). If I had below $200 and couldn't stretch for a CT12, I wouldn't bother with anything other than the Maiku.

But yeah, I'm highly biased  8)

That’d be awesome, whenever I get there... May be another 6-12 months though. I have 3 Campbells; all in mikes, but one can be pulled as my Lomo 19A13-type mics I’m thinking need transformer upgrades as these original vintage ones seem to make everything grainy! I have a cardioid-only Luke. So, well on the way already! What would be better for the test: C12 or 251 circuit? I’d think going with a standard AMI T14 would be way to go, but what about tube; good vintage 6072 or good new EH or?

Back