Help with modifying Circuit please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it was just deleted, this one.......

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/dccf.html

DaveP

DaveP said:
The DC coupled cathode follower is crucial to the best sounding amps as that article will explain....do not change it!

DaveP

Sorry I don't understand. Doesn't the modified circuit has a cathode follower just before the tone stack?

Cheers
Sono

sonolink said:
I have shielded all the signal path (well I tried anyway) The shielded cables are the purple and blue ones. They are connected to GND only on one end.

https://postimg.cc/nMBRGbm7

Any thoughts on this please? Is it worth shielding the whole thing as in the pic (purple and blue cables) or just using shielded cable between the input and the first tube's screen as done on amps would be enough?

Thanks!
Sono

Screening is not usually necessary when the signal is over a volt or two, unless it is very near a strong magnetic field like a PT or choke IMHO.

Your biggest danger will be from earth loops, make sure you place the signal earth carefully to minimise loops.

DaveP

Thanks for your reply DaveP.
That means that I should be ok screening between the input and the first stage only. But should I worry about the inductor in the PSU?

Cheers
Sono

But should I worry about the inductor in the PSU?
That depends.

It should be placed well away from the input stage as part of normal practice,  if that is not possible, then a steel shield may help.  It is often possible to turn these components sideways to orientate the magnetic field in another plane, you can experiment with that later.

The earthing of centre taps and the power section bridge and cap earth should all be kept to the shortest dimensions and the signal earth including the power supply earth should only contact the chassis at the input socket.  The power cord earth should go straight to the chassis where it enters, this will minimise hum.

DaveP

You do realize this is supposed to be built inside a pedal don't you? The enclosure is about 140x120mm....the PSU is a switched mode thingy on veroboard...hence my first idea of shielding everything...
Cheers
Sono

Well it's a little too late for that now...if the inductor is a problem and has to be moved I'll have to redesign the veroboard.

I think I'll build it with shielded cable between input and the first stage and see what happens...

Cheers
Sono

Hello again,

So I built this thing finally and here's what it looks like:

I ended up shielding all the signal path (grey cables on pic, purple and blue cables on layout diagram)

I checked voltages as follows:

V1:
p1:140v
p2:0v
p3:1v
p4-5:0v
p6:158v
p7:0v
p8:1.6v
p9:6.5v

V2:
p1:88v
p2:0v
p3:0.6v
p4-5:0v
p6:158v
p7:87v
p8:88v
p9:6.5v

I applied my scope with a 10x probe between jack input and GND and then jack output and gnd and I got this:

Jack input no jack

Jack Output no jack

Jack Output jack plugged in

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Sono

50Hz looks like a hum loop,  the high frequency might be pick-up from fluorescent lighting, the unplugged noise looks around normal.

Nice job by the way.

DaveP

DaveP said:
the high frequency might be pick-up from fluorescent lighting, the unplugged noise looks around normal.

There's no fluorescent around though. Maybe coming from the inductor?

I guess the loop comes from the shielding so I'll check that first.

Cheers
Sono

Ignore my previous post. I'm a retard and forgot to connect GND to the enclosure. Once that done hum is GONE :)

Unfortunately, I've got intermittent sound and after some chopsticking I've detected some bad solder joints.

So I'm gonna go through this little mofo again and I'll report back :)

Cheers
Sono

Hi again,

Sorry for not posting more about this. To make a long story short, I finally went through all the circuit checking everything and got it to work. Quiet as a mouse :)

BUT

I don't really like it very much :(
The sound is a bit fizzy and not very good. I think all the switches and combinations "denatured" the circuit (or something like that anyway).
So I decided to go back to square 1 and built a Fender AB763. This one sounded great and was quiet too. Great sound and dynamic range, and organic response...

BUT

I missed some distortion options. I does have distortion but only with the gain all the way up.

So, I built this: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=74809.msg950841#msg950841

I just wanted to close this thread and thank again all the input and advice, especially Abbey Road d Enfer ;)

Cheers
Sono

Back