U67 mic cable wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdock

Can anyone with an original U67 mic cable please tell me, how it is wired?
Especially the shield and 0V connections are of interest for me...
Is the shield tied only to the connectors shell? At both ends?
Is it only connected to pin 3 at both ends?
Or how did they wire it?
Any information would be much appreciated.

http://recordinghacks.com/images/mic_extras/neumann/U67-schematic.jpg

+B (pin 5) looks like the high voltage, -A (pin 4) is the heater supply, and pin 7 (especially with the "+A -B" labeling) will likely be the power ground.

Pin 3 looks like is connected both to pin 7 and the chassis, but inside the microphone.

http://www.tuberadio.com/robinson/museum/Neuman_U67/NeumanPSUcct.gif

Inside the power supply they seem to have switches for connecting pin 3 to the earthed chassis and/or pin 7.

I'd reckon it's only connected to pin 3. Otherwise it would make some of their other design choices somewhat redundant.

Thanks for your reply. But I already studied the schematics. Both, the PSU and mic. They only tell me how they wired the connectors of the PSU and mic itself.
But I'm interested how they wired the cable itself...

If you look at the PSU schematic, pin 3 is also attached to the "Bu2" which stands for Buchse 2 ( female connector). On the schematic it looks like the female Tuchel connector (Bu2)  is insulated from the PSU chassis...

That's why I asked if someone has an original to take a look.

There is a picture of a re-issue connector
http://germanmasterworks.com/images/u67-10.JPG

But I would like to know if they wired one end different.

Looks like that's correct, but if you look a bit more carefully, pin 3 and the Bu2 shell do connect to those two switches (one open, one closed), that can optionally connect it to the chassis and/or the supply ground.

Murdock said:
If you look at the PSU schematic, pin 3 is also attached to the "Bu2" which stands for Buchse 2 ( female connector). On the schematic it looks like the female Tuchel connector (Bu2)  is insulated from the PSU chassis...

Not U67 but cabel for m49 and paraphrase from old Neumann forum:

"calibration input (not used normally)
The twisted pair is best used for pin1 + 2. If the Mogami should have any thicker wires they should be used for 3 + 4, i.e. for the filament current of 100 mAmps. Wires 3 + 7(shield) do run parallel, and should be connected at both ends of the cable. Any metal housing parts of the connectors should be connected with shield/ground as well, to avoid RF interference. The inner pin is #8, which is not really used.
Best regards, Martin Schneider Neumann Mic. Development"

Vac11 said:
Not U67 but cabel for m49 and paraphrase from old Neumann forum:

"calibration input (not used normally)
The twisted pair is best used for pin1 + 2. If the Mogami should have any thicker wires they should be used for 3 + 4, i.e. for the filament current of 100 mAmps. Wires 3 + 7(shield) do run parallel, and should be connected at both ends of the cable. Any metal housing parts of the connectors should be connected with shield/ground as well, to avoid RF interference. The inner pin is #8, which is not really used.
Best regards, Martin Schneider Neumann Mic. Development"

Thanks! I read that post some time ago but totally forgot about it.
This seems to be the best configuration for me and got almost rid of the hum. If I have the pad on I have to crank the gain to around 60dB and headphones fully clockwise to hear it.

Thanks alot guys!

Latest posts

Back