New grounding science

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

This was passed to me by a fellow audio friend:

https://www.entreq.com/products/ground-boxes-17667704

My favorite line is from the first paragraph:

"But in our opinion there are a lot more frequenc[ies] on the power net. [This] is caused by the way we connect zero and protective ground together in the main central/fuse boxes."

Shouldn't these various frequencies be easily measured and thusly no longer being an opinion but an empirically proven fact?

Maybe Ian should consult with these guys and release a Grounding 102 paper....

Thanks!

Paul

They may have a point if we expect "safety" ground to be clean and quiet, that is like expecting the sewer to smell fresh.

They neglected to use science to explain what it does, ASSuming it does something.  ::) My first speculation is that they may cap couple to neutral. Any such cap would have to be sized small enough to avoid hazardous shock currents from reversed hot neutral wiring.

That said I didn't see any mention of safety agency approval other than their  "Note: that it doesn't replace protective grounds".  Some pretty remarkable marketing hyperbole.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
They may have a point if we expect "safety" ground to be clean and quiet, that is like expecting the sewer to smell fresh.

They neglected to use science to explain what it does, ASSuming it does something.  ::) My first speculation is that they may cap couple to neutral. Any such cap would have to be sized small enough to avoid hazardous shock currents from reversed hot neutral wiring.

That said I didn't see any mention of safety agency approval other than their  "Note: that it doesn't replace protective grounds".  Some pretty remarkable marketing hyperbole.

JR

I thought it was literally a box of (snake) dirt with some electrodes buried in it. I am surprised they don't do a version with a little funnel in the top and sell you bottles of audiophool water to drip into it to add moistness to the sound.

Cheers

Ian

read the manual it's a free download.
I am copying and pasting some of it here, yes the spelling mistakes are a direct copy from the manual.  I am one to talk on that end but I am also not selling a product for a good amount of money,

Simply connect one of these solutions to the heart of your system (Pre-amp) We also recomend you to test ground the DAC/CD player for find out where you get mos timprovment.
All Entreq signal and speaker cables are constructed for be grounded in Minimus/Tellus
Note. Since all our connectors are made of wood for eliminate all kind of stay volts, magnetis, e,t,c and the fact that is vary a lot on the width of RCA outlets, you need to take it gentlry when use our
Entreq Manual Groundbox
RCA plugs.The RCA outlet standard are 8mm but vary betwen 7,85-8,15 from different manufakturers. So please take it gently when you connect the RCA groundcable. Take a good grab on it and push slowly it on. If you force to hard it may split the wood.
Place your groundbox on the floor or in the rack, but make sure there are a distance of at least 15-20 cm to other units. Once connected, your box will start work, but it will take few minutes to you hear a difference in sound. These because it take a while before the grounding have start clean up.
Note.Put Feets under your groundbox will improve the result.
It will continue sound better and better the coming hours. After ca 24 hours you reach nearly full
effect.
You can not do a A-B test directly with connect / disconnect because it take some time before the drain start flow and also when disconnect some time before the stay voltages build up the magnetic fiels.

you can also

Ground on Amp negative speaker outlet, alternative speakers negative pole.
You will get a very good result when connect to Amp negative speaker pole.
Make sure you follow the instruction below, otherwise you can dammage your amp.
1 Only connect each channel (1 negative outlet) to 1 Minimus/Silver Minimus or Olympus Mini

;D

> "But in our opinion there are a lot more frequenc[ies] on the power net. [This] is caused by the way we connect zero and protective ground together in the main central/fuse boxes."

No "opinion" is needed. You can hear it. Put a line: 6VAC transformer (or plate to speaker) on the line. Put a pot across the secondary. Tap-off enough to hear the 50/60Hz real big. Are there other tones? Not sure? Add a 50/60Hz notch-filter (or ADC to a DAW software).

Wonder what other frequencies they expect on a power line. A few are obvious: rectifier and gas-tube harmonics, data-clocks from out digital toys, also sub-harmonics from big motors. But nobody is trying to put that crap on the line, and the line is a fair sink for anything other than the Big Sine Wave from the dam generator.

But hey. We can go back to buying 45V batteries and changing radio batteries before every ball-game.

JZ4uiOA.gif

pucho812 said:
read the manual it's a free download.
I am copying and pasting some of it here, yes the spelling mistakes are a direct copy from the manual.  I am one to talk on that end but I am also not selling a product for a good amount of money,

you can also

;D
I'd say you don't have to go anywhere near that far. I saw the bold subheadings and cringed at the unnecessary apostrophes.
I'm not sure of this is (speaking of classes the writer needs to take) English 101 or English 099 as I'm not an English major, but at least I passed English the first time in engineering school.
Why use our Ground Box's ?

You will get an improvement in dynamic's,
Just seeing that, uh, make's me squick.

pucho812 said:
I got it.

wood comes from trees. Trees root in the ground. So therefor the science is sound in that wood makes for better ground. LOL

So you should water them?

;D

Down here, we get mains electricity with a good amount of transients  *and*  also snakes.  No oil tho'.

Last one was a 'tiger snake' setting up shop right behind  the 'earthing spike'  of my house. 

Serious, it was!

Latest posts

Back