Outboard gear insert order/sequence for mastering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weiss

I'm curious how you guys arrange your outboard gear and why !

For example, i got a 6 Insert switcher with flippable 1-2 and 3-4 and i'm asking myself if (and why) there is a perfect way to order each device. Some people prefer eq before comp, some don't. In the end it is just all about personal taste i guess ?

I got these guys: Manley Vari Mu, FCS P3S, Tegeler VTC, Sontec clone, Elysia xFilter and GSSL

By instinct I'd put the ssl at the end of the chain and start with the filter followed by foote compressor..  ???

cheers
Ansgar

There is no one answer. It's more like personal taste. My chain is a fixed order and I'm happy with it. I rarely bypass anything even when I'm not using it. Some want to switch out individual EQ bands when not in use. Two ends of the spectrum.

Gold said:
There is no one answer. It's more like personal taste. My chain is a fixed order and I'm happy with it. I rarely bypass anything even when I'm not using it. Some want to switch out individual EQ bands when not in use. Two ends of the spectrum.
thanks for your ideas. sounds reasonable to me not to switch devices completely off. i'm also just using the bypass to do a/b comparison.

I use three DA’s in my set up. I use two instances of the source file. One instance feeds a DA that is the “flat” copy. The next instance of the source file feeds the processing chain. Then it hits the AD. The third DA is at the output of the record track. That way I can monitor post AD.  On the monitor controller I switch between flat and the post  record DA for my A/B’s.

Gold said:
I use three DA’s in my set up. I use two instances of the source file. One instance feeds a DA that is the “flat” copy. The next instance of the source file feeds the processing chain. Then it hits the AD. The third DA is at the output of the record track. That way I can monitor post AD.  On the monitor controller I switch between flat and the post  record DA for my A/B’s.
Interesting setup. But no low-budget adventure i guess :)

While this may not answer your query, back in the 80s I designed a midi controlled insert switcher thingy (MAP8x4), that accepted four effects and supported placing those four effects into any of those 8 inserts, in any order. Further you could change which insert and order using midi control. Midi control (running from SMPTE time code) was poor man's studio automation back then.

Of course this was a time when reverbs and premium effects were very expensive, today that calculus has changed.

JR 

scott2000 said:
What D to D are you using to get to the DAs?? If you don't mind me asking

I have a "pitch and catch" setup. Two instances of the DAW on the same computer that use different hardware. The pitch DAW instance uses a Lynx AES16 and the catch DAW instance uses an RME HDSP AES32.

Cool..Thanks!

Is there a reason you run it like that as opposed to maybe using one instance of the DAW with different set ups on the channels??
I've heard about decoupling computers or something like that before but never 2 instances of the same software on same computer...
Is it just workflow related or are there other sonic reasons???

scott2000 said:
Cool..Thanks!

Is there a reason you run it like that as opposed to maybe using one instance of the DAW with different set ups on the channels??

Play instance is always on internal clock at the native sample rate of the source files. If there are multiple sample rates I make separate play lists for each sample rate. That way it's nearly impossible to accidentally play a file at the wrong sample rate.

Record instance is always clocked to the AD converter.

Latest posts

Back