Khron

"Normal" ribbon appearance?
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
I got my hands on a Superlux R102 for dirt-cheap the other week (30e ;D ), and i figured i'd do a teardown and lift the schematic, for a blog post.

The thing works fine, but...  One thing that struck me was that the ribbon didn't look quite as corrugated as i would've expected, and it's not anywhere near "straight" - see attached photo.

Is this anywhere near normal?  :o

[Later edit] Well, it doesn't look quite as loose in the photo on RecordingHacks. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me...

http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/superlux/R102-ribbon.jpg

For what it's worth, further details can be found right over here :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:43:04 PM by Khron »
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Pip

Re: "Normal" ribbon appearance?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
I looks OK to me. How does it sound?

If you mean should it be pleated the answer is yes!
Pip
New York City
http://geosonixlab.com

Khron

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »
Haven't really run any sweeps or anything like that, but visually, it just looked like...

Well, if it was more pleated / corrugated, it would've been more "straight", and/or a more fitting length for the length of that "window".

Now it kinda looks like it got (partially) "straightened out" and is thus too long for that gap. Is this making any sense? ???

I looks OK to me. How does it sound?

If you mean should it be pleated the answer is yes!
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Khron

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
At least going by the photos i found here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/441808-ribbon-sag-update.html

Kinda looks to me i've got a case of the ribbon sag as well (har-har). Except this one's considerably flatter (less zig-zaggy) than those ones, like it's been stretched out inside the gap there.

bmack

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Yes, your ribbon needs to be re tensioned.  I looks like it took a big hit, straightened out your crimps, and now it's blowing in the wind.  Although, if it sounds alright . . .

This is a test Michael Joly recomends in  the link you sent:

Simply listen the your ribbon mic in headphones and slowly rock the mic forward and backward bringing it to a horizontal resting place with the front then back side facing the floor - there should be no sudden clanging or clunking sound. If you hear a sound like a metalic bang the ribbon has severe sag and should be retensioned. A minor amount of sag is normal (perhaps 0.5 mm deflection from the center line in a "long ribbon" mic) and indicates a ribbon that is probably close to ideal tension and thus proper resonant frequency.

Marik

Re: "Normal" ribbon appearance? New
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 03:16:44 AM »
I got my hands on a Superlux R102 for dirt-cheap the other week (30e ;D ), and i figured i'd do a teardown and lift the schematic, for a blog post.

The thing works fine, but...  One thing that struck me was that the ribbon didn't look quite as corrugated as i would've expected, and it's not anywhere near "straight" - see attached photo.

Is this anywhere near normal?  :o

[Later edit] Well, it doesn't look quite as loose in the photo on RecordingHacks. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me...

http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/superlux/R102-ribbon.jpg

For what it's worth, further details can be found right over here :)

The ribbon looks like a typical Chinese made one--corrugation pitch and depth are incorrect, the ribbon doesn't hold its tension and is saggy, most likely the ribbon material is way too thick. As an example of correctly corrugated ribbon for comparison below is our own VL37 1.5um ribbon. A couple survived falling from 8 feet tall booms on concrete floor, still maintaining a perfect tension (not that we'd suggest experimenting). Since you are in Europe I'd suggest to send it to Stewart for re-ribboning.

Best, M
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:39:41 AM by Marik »
Samar Audio & Microphone Design

www.samaraudiodesign.com

The Art of Ribbon Microphones