500 series Pultec style questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoebrian5

Hello GDiy,

New member here. I am planning to embark on a custom build in 500 series of a Pultec-ish eq. I'm looking for some pointers to resources if you don't mind helping me out. I'd like to study some layouts as well as schematics for some of the existing offerings out there. Also if there are resources on module chassis blanks and other mechanical parts. I am strongly considering doing a 2-space design so I can fit more options in. It seems like most of the premade options are missing some freq selections. I'm also planning to try my hand at winding my own inductors and transformers. I know, probably overly ambitious for a first time 500 project but why not!  Lastly, thoughts on the interstage transformer???

As you are using the interstage transformer does this mean you are doing the full tube gain make up? If so you will also need to generate the required HT voltage from the available rails.

Cheers

Ian

No, not planning to do tube gain. Just a DOA make up likely. I am not aware if the transformer was only for the tube style models? I really need to find a schem of the SS version.

I just came across the kit from DIYRE and it is so cheap I am decided  to go ahead and build one of those first to study up. Unfortunately they do not appear to be sharing their schematic, or maybe I just cannot find it as yet. I've got an email in.

Because of too many clone cloning clone cloners sharing schematics isn't common anymore.

If you want to study Pultec EQ related stuff start here:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16761.msg194572#msg194572

Dang that looked to be a really great thread until I realized almost all of the info links are broken.

Still cannot find a solid state schematic. Anyone??

Tahoebrian5 said:
Dang that looked to be a really great thread until I realized almost all of the info links are broken.

Still cannot find a solid state schematic. Anyone??

There is not much to it. All you need is about 20dB gain and a relatively high impedance input so as not to load the passive EQ.

Cheers

Ian

Back