Cut/Boost of Shelving Filter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfield

Hello everybody

This circuit is a high shelfing-Filter. I do have trouble calculating the maximum cut / boost. I know that the devider (R3 and R4) sets the maximum cut and boost but how do I calculate it exactly, with the given resistor values? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-12 um 17.34.53.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-12 um 17.34.53.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 77
@moapms:

With this equation, I get the max. cut of -16.8dB. I know that the max. Boost is the same, with +16dB. But the equation for the max. boost must be slightly different?! Do you know this equation as well?

blackfield said:
Hello everybody

This circuit is a high shelfing-Filter. I do have trouble calculating the maximum cut / boost. I know that the devider (R3 and R4) sets the maximum cut and boost but how do I calculate it exactly, with the given resistor values? Thanks for your help!
Note that, according to the mathematical analysis, the max boost/cut will never be achieved because it is an asymptotic response, that can be reached only at a virtual infinite frequency. In reality, the finite gain of the opamps will define the actual response.
I would suggest you simulate the circuit in LTspice (a free software by Linear Technology), so you will see practical results and how components interact with the actual response.

Back