• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Group Buy 250V-300V 400mA SMPS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

There have been several discussion here about HT supplies for tube projects using an SMPS. I recently contacted Meanwell about such a supply and to my surprise I quickly received a telephone call from them. They said it would most likely need to be a custom design but the minimum order quantity would only have to be 100 for  250V 400mA output type with universal mains input.

I definitely do not need anything like that quantity but I might be in for 10. So the question is, would anyone else be interested in a group buy of such a supply?

Cheers

Ian

john12ax7 said:
Any idea on pricing? Is there a model spec sheet that it would be based on?

Pass. Discussion never reached that point once I discovered the MOQ. I was thinking in terms of a frame type enclosure with an adjustable output in the 250V to 300V range. I would expect most people would want to put a FET regulator after it to get the noise/ripple  down  low enough for audio use.

Probably be based on one of their typical 120W or 150W types.

Cheers

Ian

If you're going to have a custom psu, maybe you could get a heater supply from it as well?

Nick Froome

pvision said:
If you're going to have a custom psu, maybe you could get a heater supply from it as well?

Nick Froome

If we go for 300V at up to 400mA HT, that is 120 Watts.  The EZTube mixer designs consume about  5.4W of heater power for every 4.5W of HT power. So we need at least another 120W of heater power. However this does not account for heater inrush current which basically doubles this requirement. Basically we would need a 360W power supply. Since there are plenty of low cost 12V SMPS already available I thought it best to use a separate heater supply.

Cheers

Ian

Back