Group channels in a mixer project- advice / ideas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Greetings, wise sages of GDIY.  8)
Thanks again for suggestions and advice on the Aux cards.  I've ordered proto's and will share results in a few weeks!

In the meantime, I'm moving over to thinking about group cards, and -you guessed it- I'm curious hear your perspectives on features you like, personal tastes/gripes, or whatever comes to mind. If in your studio travels, you have some unorthodox-use story, by all means, do tell.

On a 'feature' inclusion:
A few of you have said (in so many words), that group channels can be approached as a modification of the input card layout, minus the bells and whistles.

I'm kicking around the idea of having them serve dual purpose as a standard group aca or as a simplified input channel.
This way if, say for example, all 8 groups are not needed, some could be treated like aux returns or as extra mix/recording inputs that have direct out and program bus assignment (aux sends and more obviously, group assignments would not be available).

Does this idea hold any water?

Cheers,
-Boji

Update: I scrapped the whole group/channel hybrid thing, but kept an insert post aca, pre 500 slots. A stem from the daw could be inserted here for use as a mix channel if all 8 groups are not needed.

The only odd button out is 'Swap' which simply reverses the series order of the 500 slots, given that sometimes you want to EQ before compression, sometimes it's better the other way around.

Anywho, every time I ask a basic question I almost always get an improved idea from one of you, so I'll just eat humble pie and ask:

The pot at the top attenuates the ACA output stage in case gear inserts/slots want less signal. It's more volume reduction than anything else.
As is, when the button above the pot is NOT engaged, it bypasses the pot and delivers the full ACA stage to slots followed up by A2/fader/pan/pgm.

My question is what to call this button?

My first thought was simply, TRIM, but technically the knob starts from the left at infinite attenuation, and turns clockwise to increase signal.
While this could be viewed as 'gain',  technically it's just undoing attenuation.  ::)    Reversing the pot doesn't sit well with me, as things that turn clockwise usually mean increase, not decrease.  Any ideas what to name that button or should I say, reverse the button's use, and make it disengage the pot?

Your advice is always appreciated,
-Boji

HjOS9hw.png

That is a nice looking layout. What did you use to draw it?

Sorry, for once I have no idea what to call that button.

Cheers

Ian

Hello

Level Adjust ?
Input level ?
Input Gain?

ATT look ok for me, but I'll guess I want the function increasing by turning CW (more attenuation...)

Best
Zam

That is a nice looking layout. What did you use to draw it?
Hey thanks, Ian. Just Eagle, printed to pdf.  Have the luxury of more space this time!

Sorry, for once I have no idea what to call that button.
Then it's probably superfluous.  ;D  A switching pot would be nice.

Level Adjust ?
Input level ?
Input Gain?
Thanks for the suggestions. Still on the fence.

Latest posts

Back