Bipolar caps in Juno 6

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

I'm restoring a Juno 6 and it has some 1uf and 10uf bipolar caps in the oscillator / filter. I'm wondering why the VCF needs to be isolated with the caps on either side? And could these could be omitted and replaced with jumpers? I don't see why the whole thing wouldn't be sitting at ground and they would be unneccessary. Perhaps to protect the VCF chip?

The IR3109 is a custom chip with four variable transcunductance amplifiers for the voltage controlled filter (VCF)

Attachments

• juno_filter.png
    juno_filter.png
    485.6 KB · Views: 14
That schematic does not show me enough to determine voltages but the chip is likely single supply. Since that schematic uses two ground like symbols I will ASSume one is actually ground and other is a + or - DC supply rail.

You can probably substitute regular polar electrolytic caps once you determine the static DC biases around the chip.

JR

OK a bunch of old school CMOS so single supply rail is likely +V .  I see a LS42 logic chip on same rail and that is 5V digital logic.

I suspect you can use polar caps with the + end facing toward the 3109, but if you have a working unit, easy enough to confirm with a VOM.

JR

Voltage key. It is a dual rail +15 / -15
There also is a +5v with a un-filled up arrow

I guess the offset control on VR5 would create a DC voltage that needs blocking, but it could be + or - against the cap

Roland would have put polarized caps in if possible because they only have a few NP throughout the circuit

Attachments

• voltages.png
    voltages.png
    28 KB · Views: 4
dmp said:
Voltage key. It is a dual rail +15 / -15
There also is a +5v with a un-filled up arrow

I guess the offset control on VR5 would create a DC voltage that needs blocking, but it could be + or - against the cap

Roland would have put polarized caps in if possible because they only have a few NP throughout the circuit
I try not to speculate about what other engineers would do... I have rarely (like never) found bipolar caps the best solution.

Do whatever you want... as I suspect you will...  over and out.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I try not to speculate about what other engineers would do... I have rarely (like never) found bipolar caps the best solution.

Thanks for the help - I'm not excited about having bipolar caps in there either. Not sure what to do other than some good film caps if they would physically fit

Latest posts

Back