Cleaning dynamic mic diaphragm - Electro Voice RE 20

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len

Hi,

I have this Electro Voice capsule from an old PL-20  that is contaminated with remains of disintegrated foam all over.

Of course the microphone had the "baby rattle" syndrom with the capsule loose inside because all of the foam had fallen apart over time.  Well, replacing just the foam itself is not much of a big deal, really.
And the capsule itself seems to be ok -  I get a clean sound -  the black disc inside is not rattling with movement. 

But unfortunately the thin mesh on top of the capsule protecting the diaphragm from dust has come loose over time as well -  meaning residue of disintegrated foam is all over the diaphragm right now.  I have cleaned the rest of the microphone and the crumbs of old foam have become  really sticky.
Now it´s time to clean the diaphragm - but I don´t really know how to do it. 

I have some Ideas like using compressed air from the side across (not into) the diaphragm - or hanging the capsule upside down and touching it with a very light brush and distilled water. But since I don´t have any experience doing this I have no clue if this is safe.

What are your tricks to clean the diaphragm on a dynamic mic? 

Thanks.

Attachments

• pl20_1.jpg
    pl20_1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
I've used destilled water and finest possible brush for condenser mics which are way more fragile, so i guess you are safe if you take that route. I don't recommend compressed air. However i am not sure if you need to clean it at all.

kingkorg said:
I've used destilled water and finest possible brush for condenser mics which are way more fragile, so i guess you are safe if you take that route. I don't recommend compressed air. However i am not sure if you need to clean it at all.

Agreed. It does not need cleaning. Fix the rattle issue and put it back into service.

Not all plastics react well to isopropyl . If you must clean it with something use ammonia mixed with water like window cleaner.

Tim Campbell said:
Not all plastics react well to isopropyl . If you must clean it with something use ammonia mixed with water like window cleaner.

I have cleaned the diaphragms of RE-20/PL-20, MD409 and many others with isopropyl, but now that I think back, it always was 70% and not stronger just because of that.

Thanks for all the answers so far!
It seems like there is more than one way to do it. 

I at least want to get the bigger chunks of dirt and old foam off the membrane. The remains of the old foam have become quite sticky. 
Have to get a very fine brush first. I´ll try and post an update when I´m done.

Back