Generating Upper and Lower Harmonics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alexc said:
The bbe  (rack) also had a  'low' end enhance ... I thought that the 'low contour'  control  was of the 'sub-harmonic generating'    kind  ..  adding harmonics at 1/2  of the 'low end dominant freqs' or something like that.
No; it's a basic shelving filter capable of about 12dB boost.

thanks Abbey  - you're right of course. Too many units on the brain  :eek:

But yep .. the BBE was useful as a fairly simple to operate  ..  low, hi  enhancer.

There are thousands of distortion plug-ins, some of them using ophisticated algorithms (much more than what can be put in a Hammond box) and they all sound like crap to me.
Usually no good on programme material. Some might sound 'better' at first, but close inspection reveals degradation clearly. I refrain from it entirely. That being said, as for FX on individual tracks, there's no limit of course.

The older units like Aphex & BBE were good at the time but there's a whole raft of newer devices that sound much less like an effect and more euphonic

The Fatso & others of it's ilk are amazing. I'd love to know how they achieve what they do

If you haven't played with a Fatso, put your prejudices & assumptions to one side till you have. It is, in many ways, awesome

Nick Froome

Latest posts

Back