Winter NAMM January 2019

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

If I read it correctly Jakob Erland  and Gyraf audio will be there.

I wonder who else will be about.  Perhaps we should make like the old generation of us did at AES and get together for dinner one evening.

I know a few folks are wanting to plan a taco night at hectors  in Santa Anna which is just  spitting distance from Anaheim.

I regret I will not be attending again this year.  ;D

As I recall there was no shortage of good restaurants in the area. Mexican is almost expected for SoCal but I've had decent sushi, and others.

JR 

PS: I usually parked my butt in the hotel bar and watched the world go by.

JohnRoberts said:
I regret I will not be attending again this year.  ;D

As I recall there was no shortage of good restaurants in the area. Mexican is almost expected for SoCal but I've had decent sushi, and others.

JR 

PS: I usually parked my butt in the hotel bar and watched the world go by.

I understand your feelings on the matter. however if the news was correct will be nice to meet jackob in person  ;)

gyraf said:
;D I'll be at booth #15429 with "One F Sound" - Maselec USA

Would be really nice to meet you in person, Pucho..!

Jakob E.

After decades in the industry trade shows became an opportunity to reminisce with old friends and that is the only thing I miss about trade shows...

After too many shows each year, in too many countries, they started to resemble ground hog day.  ::)

JR

with the current crop of audio being a majority of clones in analog and digital form, it has easily turned into that for me. It has been for some time.  As I have worked more then my fair share of booths I prefer just to run into old friends and catch up, in some cases that is the only time of year I get to see them.  Yes a lot of trade shows and it does feel like Groundhog Day but with a big side of being tired.

I’m trying to get there along with a friend; though I kick myself for not picking up a hotel room on Black Friday!

I hear what everyone is saying about the clone wars. You’d think there’d be hope in the digital realm but they’re in that same war too!

Is the problem is that there is no money in innovation anymore?  Or is the risk simply too high? Even more so for a new company?

Recording Engineer said:
I’m trying to get there along with a friend; though I kick myself for not picking up a hotel room on Black Friday!

I hear what everyone is saying about the clone wars. You’d think there’d be hope in the digital realm but they’re in that same war too!

Is the problem is that there is no money in innovation anymore?  Or is the risk simply too high? Even more so for a new company?

Having worked for a company that prides itself on being original, there are a few factors going on.
R&D is expensive and even after all of it, you may have a product that although is amazing does not sell very well. It's a big risk. because it being new no one has heard it before. So you further add to cost with things like marketing, demo units, etc.  It's tough to break through all the noise.
With clones, you do have  something that is already established and easier to sell. People recognize  things and make quick associations.  It's also much easier to do something after seeing someone else do it.  While it does leave little to be desired it can guarantee a minimum number of sales. 

My last bench stint at a company had us dealing with  original designs and lot of custom parts(knobs, etc). While  this sets it apart from others, it does add to cost. As cost continues to rise,  it is getting very hard to keep that working and they are well established.  So what is the alternative? There is none, you raise the cost to continue to deliver what you have and educate. 

Recording Engineer said:
Rooms near the convention center are booked well in advance while there are a lot of rooms in the general area thanks to mickey mouse.
Not sure I understand but thats OK
Product success is like a 3 legged stool (maybe 4 legs) and requires meeting a need, at a price the customer is willing to pay, with a product that exceeds his expectations.

Over 15 years at Peavey I saw a bunch of innovative products that were too cool for the room (or too cool for the dealer distribution). Several midi SKUs didn't become in demand until after they were discontinued due to poor initial sales. I recall reading a top Rane engineer saying that digital speaker crossovers were possible at some future date (while Peavey was already shipping one).

The problem with being too far ahead of the market is that you have to educate the customers why they "need" your product. I am kind of in that situation with my drum tuner... How many drummers know what "clear" means?  ::) ::)

Peavey was notorious for not spending marketing dollars developing markets for new products. It took me a painful couple years to figure out that Peavey customers wanted the same but, cheaper. Not new, improved, different (i still did different anyhow).

JR

Regarding hotels,  you can book them through Namm at a discount. Also cheaper places tend to open up at the last minute.

I would be down for a meetup, though seems like it gets tougher on the weekend as people get busy with show related responsibilities.

john12ax7 said:
Regarding hotels,  you can book them through Namm at a discount. Also cheaper places tend to open up at the last minute.

I would be down for a meetup, though seems like it gets tougher on the weekend as people get busy with show related responsibilities.

are you tied to a booth this year?

considered recent events by Behringer about made in China 76 etc.. branded Klark Teknik

it will be some other "famous" new made in china pro audio device ?  ::)

Latest posts

Back