Condenser mic internal wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raken

Hello,

I'm tinkering around with a condenser microphone currently.
Before I start soldering around on a whim I just wanted to ask if someone has an answer for me.

How long can the cable between the capsule and the microphone circuit be? Do they need to be as close together as possible or could you put like a two meter cable in between and put the circuit in a seperate housing?

They have to be close. For one thing, two meters of cable probably has many times the capacitance of the condenser element.

Ok, thanks for the answer. Haven't thought about the capcitance of the wire as of yet. That's a very good reason for keeping the wire as short as possible though.

Yes, and it is micro-voltages in a very high impedance circuit so you want, in a perfect world , the circuit compact and thoroughly isolated. In most circuits even flux residue can be thoroughly disruptive.

IMO, with all microphones the shortest distance between transducer to line level yields the best results. Certain mic manufacturers had different output transformers or taps for use with long cable runs.

Try putting a mic-pre within a few inches of even a dynamic mic and see if the sound quality does not improve dramatically

Latest posts

Back