Audio Technica AT871UG Boundary Guts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Being a huge AT fan i had to buy this one when it showed up for 30 euros in the ads.
Had no idea what to expect, but i was pleasantly surprised with the sound when i tested and measured it. It has slight HF boost, but it's really smooth. No crazy dips and valleys. Actually smoother than their 4040.

Last thing i expected it to be transformer coupled :)

yz3yMdW.jpg

qjww2d7.jpg

rAALZbZ.jpg

ENkovbK.jpg

And here's a sample. The mic is just placed on desktop, me playing guitar in front of it, 12th fret, 20cm away from it.
1073 inspired pre into Gyraf 1176.

https://app.box.com/s/26o4uummzsbm95iur6qs6wdqz9abba3f

I certainly like the sound of the sample... Not the noise though. Snuck in with another mic or running the track through Z-Noise or something and setting it in a full mix, I could go for that!

Agree!

However i am thinking about using it as a kick in mic. I believe i will have to make a pad before the fet, as i've heard it might clip in that situation.

Or just like a floor mic in drum room, or something like that. So i guess higher SPL is the way to go because of the noise.

Just wanted to report results. Useless as kick in mic, distorts heavily at lowest kick levels.

I was thinking about making a pad, but since the capsule seems to have built in fet i cant bother. S/N ratio would be even worse, so i guess it would be pointless.

I'll try it out as room floor mic and report back.

Latest posts

Back