Active Monitors With Additonal Passive Inputs..?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchman

Hello.. I was wondering do anyone offer this design or can it feasibly be done..?..I know with some active monitors ,sometimes the speaker design can be good but the on board amps are not so good..I was wondering if anyone offer this option to be able to use an external " better " power amp and by-pass the on board power amps..?..Or can this mod be done with existing commercial monitors..? Thanks..!

I agree,  the big issue would be the crossovers,  as they are different designs with active and passive.  Best would be to mimic the original design,  so mostly active crossover with biamp or triamp.

Another approach would be to upgrade (rather than replace)  the existing electronics.

Snatchman said:
Hello.. I was wondering do anyone offer this design or can it feasibly be done..?..I know with some active monitors ,sometimes the speaker design can be good but the on board amps are not so good..I was wondering if anyone offer this option to be able to use an external " better " power amp and by-pass the on board power amps..?..Or can this mod be done with existing commercial monitors..? Thanks..!
As far as I could imagine on any active speaker/monitor, all the drivers are hardwired to the internal amps and have no external connection. The design is supposedly "optimized" for the size of the amp for each driver.

What leads you to the conclusion that the internal amps aren't good enough?

There are, of course, DIY ways around this - the main tool to use here is diagonal cutters on the wires to the drivers, and you can wire each driver to a speaker input panel you add to the back - or maybe the side, as the back is usually filled with the amp inputs, controls and labels. Or you could remove the amps and their power supply and just make it a passive/biamped/triamped speaker connected to your own amps.

benb said:
As far as I could imagine on any active speaker/monitor, all the drivers are hardwired to the internal amps and have no external connection. The design is supposedly "optimized" for the size of the amp for each driver.

What leads you to the conclusion that the internal amps aren't good enough?

There are, of course, DIY ways around this - the main tool to use here is diagonal cutters on the wires to the drivers, and you can wire each driver to a speaker input panel you add to the back - or maybe the side, as the back is usually filled with the amp inputs, controls and labels. Or you could remove the amps and their power supply and just make it a passive/biamped/triamped speaker connected to your own amps.

"What leads you to the conclusion that the internal amps aren't good enough?"

Thanks for the reply..I've heard some of the " budget active monitors" that the amps hum and seems to distort when pushed..

Latest posts

Back