EuroRack Size Eq Comp Pre - Any Diy ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi to All
A friend got a Solid State Logic 19" Rack with 4 mic pre (2 x module)
the rack is Eurorack size ,
have 12 slots , then 10 slots  empty,

he ask me if there is any Eq or Compressor  modules  in Eurorack size ,
compatible with psu voltages available from the rack ,
better more if diy like Gssl  comp , Sontec Eq ,  Neve 73 or 84 Eq , etc..

any help about is welcome
thanks and cheers

Is that X-rack? Seems to be 4u/HE rather than 3u/HE.
Since I have a eurorack modular synth, and wanted proper balanced outputs, I have converted a few preamps to eurorack (3HE). No compressors and eq yet though, although that is something I want to have a look at.

But, how do the modules look, do they plug into a backplane?

Thanks for post !

no they are not the latest x-rack

they are the vintage ssl series preamp modules with transformer and inductors ,
the dimension are the same as the plasma meters modules placed on the 6000 and 4000 consoles,

probably same size of the 5000 modules ?

they have a retrofitted connector , long rectangular multi pins ,
for psu voltages and audio in-out  connections ,
as soon as i can i post some image about

but as the rack have 12 slots i.m.h.o. there is good room for compressor and eq modules ,
also if they require  2 or 3 slots space for knobs , switches , controls , and vu or led meters,

the multi pcb concept for a single module with 2 or 3 slots wide can be a solution ,
as many diy projects are made .

Sounds like something DIN41612-esque for the backplane connector, that is definitely not eurorack :D
Elektor Formant used to have this, but I think most people building those just wired up the PSU connection.
But yeah, in principle there's room, most of the circuits do not consist of that many components.

ruffrecords said:
Actually  it is. It is the more recent simplified version for synth builders that is the interloper. Proper Eurorack has been around a lot longer than synths

http://www.srs-products.co.uk/eurorack/

Cheers

Ian
yes the rack seem to be as the one with "ears"  on the image at that link ,
and probably the same size used for diy modular synth , as you posted ,
because more standard than Api 500 or other types…

and strange is why no Gssl or 2254 comp , Sontec Eq , N73 or 84 Eq or pre , etc.. diy projects also in this size .

checked modules dimension ,
and seem that the rack is Eurorack standard ,
the modules face plate have the distance between screws holes about 4 mm less than the Api 500 (unfortunately  :'( )
because Eurorack has for modules a support edge above and below (2 mm up and 2 mm down ? )
instead the Api 500 face plate that have the same height of the rack case-box .

considered the height of Neve 2254 face plate 5,25" / 133,35 mm , probably it was made for Eurorack ?
and as the 73 and 84 pre-eq are  similar concept of 2254  (cards interconnected)
it would be possible a version of  them in Eurorack size ?

r2d2 said:
checked modules dimension ,
and seem that the rack is Eurorack standard ,
the modules face plate have the distance between screws holes about 4 mm less than the Api 500 (unfortunately  :'( )
because Eurorack has for modules a support edge above and below (2 mm up and 2 mm down ? )
instead the Api 500 face plate that have the same height of the rack case-box .

considered the height of Neve 2254 face plate 5,25" / 133,35 mm , probably it was made for Eurorack ?
and as the 73 and 84 pre-eq are  similar concept of 2254  (cards interconnected)
it would be possible a version of  them in Eurorack size ?

I think Neve stuff from the 670s was before the Eurorack DIN standard but it is very similar. The supporting extrusions used were called ISEP rails that are very similar to the current Eurorack extrusions. Certainly the module heights were in multiples of 19 inch rack heights. I am not sure if the actual panel heights made allowance for the extrusions themselves (panel heights today are less than the equivalent U. So 3U is 133.35mm but the panel height is only 128.4 high).

Cheers

Ian

Probably  many of 500 projects pcb are compatible with eurorack , 2254 and 73-84 included,
only a bit modified front panel  is required .  ::)

r2d2 said:
Probably  many of 500 projects pcb are compatible with eurorack , 2254 and 73-84 included,
only a bit modified front panel  is required .  ::)

I don't think so...PCB size as back connector are different, it will request a pcb redesign to fit the 100x160 pcb dimensions and the DIN 41612 connector. Also a mechanical difference as there is chance that connector alignment, which define PCB position and front panel elements (pot, switches) won't match front panel alignment/cutout as is
Apart for the 3U rack space , eurorack is a different standard in all aspect (better IMO)

For the OP, by the time Studer offer EQ and Comp/Gate from the 900 series in eurorack format, they don't appear that much for sale around usual market place...

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
I don't think so...PCB size as back connector are different, it will request a pcb redesign to fit the 100x160 pcb dimensions and the DIN 41612 connector. Also a mechanical difference as there is chance that connector alignment, which define PCB position and front panel elements (pot, switches) won't match front panel alignment/cutout as is
Apart for the 3U rack space , eurorack is a different standard in all aspect (better IMO)

For the OP, by the time Studer offer EQ and Comp/Gate from the 900 series in eurorack format, they don't appear that much for sale around usual market place...

Best
Zam

Do you mean no room for the mainboard (psu lines and i-o) ?

PS
zamproject said:
y the time Studer offer EQ and Comp/Gate from the 900 series in eurorack format, they don't appear that much for sale around usual market place...

Very rare pieces , and hi price requests...

Back