Triple triode tubes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw some used as moving coil meter drivers in a Brennell reel to reel  I have , I forget which type they were at this stage ,I think they were just paralelled up  with the meter in the anode circuit .

BluegrassDan said:
Has anyone experimented with triple triode tubes like the 6AC10? I just aquired a bunch and wondered if they could be at all useful.
It seems to be very close to 12AT7, only 3 sections instead of 2. Not the most commonly used tube in audio applications. 12AT7 is almost exclusively used in the phase-inverter of push-pull amps. Could be used as a hefty line output stage, maybe...

There are compactron triple triodes of many types including 12AT/U/X7 in various combinations.  Here is a link to a great PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4goh9wqj6oxvf2/Compactron_Survey_v1-06.pdf?dl=0

buildafriend said:
compactrons seem to be a limiting factor for many tube testers

Indeed. Even most of the better Hickok models require an add-on adapter unit to test them.

I once got a box of tubes with several 6EZ8s in it. One of the few non-compactron triple triodes.  The 3 triodes are identical and have electrical characteristics between a 12AU7 and a 12AV7, if I remember correctly. I played around with using it in a guitar amp with a tube tremolo circuit in it. I thought using those triple triodes might beat either having to use hard-to-find single triodes or wasting half a dual triode for the tremolo circuit. But in the end I abandoned the project because if one triode gets weak or fails, I’d have had to replace all three, regardless of their individual conditions.  Didn’t seem economical to me. I ended up settling on 6AV6s for my simple tremolo units. Plentiful and cheap as dirt.

But if you’ve got several you might consider going ahead with a project and living with the limitation above, at least until you run out of them. From there, you can always convert it to use more common tubes, I guess.  Just a thought.

I was comissioned to design a phono preamp using one compactron for each channel. Not sure what more you're expecting, it's just three 12AT7 triodes in one bottle *shrug*.

buildafriend said:
compactrons seem to be a limiting factor for many tube testers
rackmonkey said:
Indeed. Even most of the better Hickok models require an add-on adapter unit to test them.

Yes, but this is GDIY!  I have a military TV-7 tester and I just built a compactron socket into a bud box with a rotary switch.  A multi conductor wire goes to a plug with a nine pin miniature base.  Plug in the 9 pin and set the tester for the first triode of the 12AX/T/U/whatever.  Then use the rotary switch to select triode 1, 2, or 3.

Attachments

• Compactron.JPG
    Compactron.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 4
Apart from the issue pointed out below, IE that if one valve goes weak you have to replace the valve, it's still a useful valve. The  6AC10 has high u/gain - 62, lower than a 12AT7/ECC81 but not far off a 12AX7, one 6AC10 and you have a high gain IP stage and LTP all in one, saves space, meaning the amp chassis can be compact.  If you have four or so and build an amp, two in the two as spares it'll last a good few years. Still, it means you have to buy "special" valve bases which are probably more expensive than your average B9A or octal. Am pretty sure I've seen them used in a few headphone amp design's. 

If you don't use them the prices of these have gone up like all valves, some folk love em and they can fetch a good few bob, so not a bad find.

Andy.

mjrippe said:
I have a military TV-7 tester and I just built a compactron socket into a bud box with a rotary switch.  A multi conductor wire goes to a plug with a nine pin miniature base.  Plug in the 9 pin and set the tester for the first triode of the 12AX/T/U/whatever.  Then use the rotary switch to select triode 1, 2, or 3.

I was looking at TV 10 testers. Good idea with the DIY compactron adapter. I use a Hickok 532, but I want a mu tracer. It’s nice to be ready for anything

btw we’re both brooklynites. Let me know if you’de like to grab a drink and geek out

All the best,

Back