happy holidays

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
Constantly discovering new ways to embarrass us. (In the army they had us dig our own holes in the woods using the iconic entrenching tool 
300px-M_43_tool.JPG
.)

JR

I happened on US border and customs website today to be confronted by a message of service disruption due to funding , basically the page was open ,but no assistance could be provided online , I didnt need to leave them my details in the end as they dualy ungulf  any scrap of info they can get on anyone ,and pass it onto the cloud ,where the 'authority' can use it as it see's fit forever .......

There is a few interesting bits relating to biometric on the site and more about how they process , use and redistribute your  data  to third parties ,Varies depending on if your a US citizen or not , but my guess is the 'Allmighty' likely has backdoored Facebooks database by now if it wasnt in there right from the start  . Its almost like the work of secret agencies who collect information has been farmed out to the private sector by proxy and peoples willingness to sign up creates an intel feeding frenzy

I think history here in Europe tells us loud and clear that political entities with to much information on the people can turn very sour indeed ,there are also serious warning signs emerging further east in Europe largely relating to immigration , sections of people have little more rights than slaves or prisoners .They say the conditions of housed non residents here in Ireland are a time bomb waiting to happen ,like always its reverted to instutionalised base human behaviour no different to the old days of state/church run houses of horror .

I can see John would like to have  have those phantom poopers rounded M.P. style  and put on scrape  up detail  , troopers will need to set up checkpoints to search people  for skid marks in the local area  ;D  ughhhh ,

Tubetec said:
I can see John would like to have  have those phantom poopers rounded M.P. style  and put on scrape  up detail  , troopers will need to set up checkpoints to search people  for skid marks in the local area  ;D  ughhhh ,
behave....

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Classic German beer styles are pils (pilsner) and weisbier (wheat beer)... I saw a bunch of IPAs (India pale ale) on that list. Clearly a British beer and ironically the IPAs were lower alcohol than the rest. IPA was invented by the Brits as a high alcohol and highly hopped beer (both preservatives) to help beer survive the long unrefrigerated ocean journey from the British isle to India colony. IPAs only became popular recently when the unwashed discovered micro brews and were attracted to the IPA style because of the high hop content (you kind of had to hit them over the head with the flavor differences), the high alcohol attracted another segment of drinkers.

Didn't want to start a thread on this but just watched an episode of Shark Tank and they seemed to really like this thing.....

https://store.fizzics.com/products/original-fizzics-beer-system

I guess it uses sound waves to create a head on any can, bottle,etc. of beer and makes it smoother,etc.... The guys walked away with a 2 million dollar investment for 16% of the company...... they went in asking $500k for 4% originally but planned to get more money after.... so Mark Cuban and Lori from QVC did it all then.....

You seem knowledgeable enough that I'd value your take on the concept........ I'm usually not in a big hurry for draft but, maybe I'm missing something....

scott2000 said:
Didn't want to start a thread on this but just watched an episode of Shark Tank and they seemed to really like this thing.....

https://store.fizzics.com/products/original-fizzics-beer-system

I guess it uses sound waves to create a head on any can, bottle,etc. of beer and makes it smoother,etc.... The guys walked away with a 2 million dollar investment for 16% of the company...... they went in asking $500k for 4% originally but planned to get more money after.... so Mark Cuban and Lori from QVC did it all then.....
they seem easily impressed.
You seem knowledgeable enough that I'd value your take on the concept........ I'm usually not in a big hurry for draft but, maybe I'm missing something....
Yes... sounds like a marketing thing...draft used to be cheap beer... When I was a kid in the 60s we would get cardboard quart containers of draft beer from local bars... clearly a short term drinking exercise.

In 1970 when I got drafted... me and my coworkers had an extended last lunch, going away party (that extended well into the night). We made the waitress call the bar's draft beer "tap beer" because "draft" was an unacceptable word for me to hear that day/night.  :eek:

OK back on topic... carbonation or CO2 dissolved in the liquid that boils out when uncapped and pressure is released is an important part of the experience and contributes to mouth feel (we actually feel the small bubbles on our tongue )... Draft beer is pressurized inside kegs to make a head (bars have gas tanks to keep beer under pressure. I recall reading about a shortage of CO2 gas during a recent world cup making UK bars nervous. Guinness IIRC uses nitrogen instead of CO2 . FWIW the beer yeast expire CO2).

Dirty bar glasses and old skunky beer can resist making a good head (or tasting good).

I recall during my sundry work visits to Germany (for trade shows etc), the gusthaus (local hotel/motel) beer tap was frustratingly slow, where it would take way too long to pull a stein of beer.  They would often fill pitchers in advance to reduce the wait. It turns out there are regulations in Germany, perhaps related to their iconic (archaic) purity laws, that beer must have a stipulated amount of head on the standard glass (there was actually a line on the glasses) to be considered pure and good. Since small merchants dispensing beer didn't want to lose a drop of profit to lack of freshness, they introduced extra turbulence in the beer tap, so even flat beer would come out with a big head.  ::) The unintended consequence of this was good beer making way too much head,  ::) and frustrating guys like me waiting for my next beer.  8)

This is not news... Guinness has a patented "gizmo" that is a little plastic gadget they place inside the bottom of Guinness draft beer cans, engineered to create turbulence when the can is first opened and makes a healthy head (a Guinness signature). I never looked up the patent but surely, exactly how it works is published in that patent document.

So long story short, good fresh beer has carbonation that whether it makes a big foamy head or not, contributes to the mouth feel... flat beer is just not the same.

===

For Christmas this year I made two batches of hard apple cider...(must start with raw apple cider without any chemical preservatives).  I used the same amount of priming sugar proportion I use in my beer but the hard cider is kind of flat... that's OK the hard cider is still very goooood. Only a few bottles left.  :(

-------
That seems like another reason I don't watch that TV show.  I have known too many wealthy people who think because they are wealthy that must mean that they are smart... No... it only means that they are wealthy.  ::)

JR

> Guinness has a patented "gizmo"

Even the not-new form is not new.

Back in the 1970s, at a beer festival, Guinness was showing-off a bar-appliance which would fizz-up the whole glass. It was memorable; had a very bad effect on me.

PRR said:
> Guinness has a patented "gizmo"

Even the not-new form is not new.

Back in the 1970s, at a beer festival, Guinness was showing-off a bar-appliance which would fizz-up the whole glass. It was memorable; had a very bad effect on me.
I don't recall that...  Guinness were different from others in using Nitrogen gas instead of C02 to pressurize their draft kegs in bars. I am not sure how that makes a difference (maybe smaller bubbles? WAG).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
So long story short, good fresh beer has carbonation that whether it makes a big foamy head or not, contributes to the mouth feel... flat beer is just not the same.

===

For Christmas this year I made two batches of hard apple cider...(must start with raw apple cider without any chemical preservatives).  I used the same amount of priming sugar proportion I use in my beer but the hard cider is kind of flat... that's OK the hard cider is still very goooood. Only a few bottles left.  :(

-------
That seems like another reason I don't watch that TV show.  I have known too many wealthy people who think because they are wealthy that must mean that they are smart... No... it only means that they are wealthy.  ::)

JR

Thanks!..... I figured you may have some thoughts on it....

MMM.... apple cider???  I do actually kinda fancy the Stella Cidre  but I'm sure it's not the same thing.....

I was never into sweet stuff before but I guess I like the apple...... I actually did used to love having a Tucher with an orange slice smashed on the bottom  of a glass after work when I was working a small bar downtown...... So maybe I was in to the fruit thing somewhat after all.......

I may need to look into this diy some because they are pricey..... and not very potent...more crisp than the Angry stuff though...almost like a sparkly white wine thing.....but sweet....

.. my neighbor used to brew some beer every now and then and the couple of times he offered it, I was blown away at how good it was..... like the best beer I ever had good..... maybe it was the atmosphere....

I vaguely remember one time trying some fruity something lightning but can't recall how it tasted....but I do remember it was a nice evening........

Home brew beer is like home made bread.... all good.

JR

PS The hard cider is not cheap... The pasteurized apple cider (without preservatives) is $4 something a gallon... Probably a lot cheaper than buying commercial cider.

Latest posts

Back