Spray painting microphone body advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Dussen

I'm considering spray painting the aluminium Equinox microphone body.
But most metal i have painted before didn't stick very well.
Any one done this before? Any tips?

Attachments

• EQMBU47_f6_1.jpg
    EQMBU47_f6_1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17
I did the same in the past!
First, I used boiling water with sodium carbonate ('soda') to completely degrease the metal suface.
After that, I washed the bodies with hot water and let them dry.
Then I sprayed the body with (silver) hammer-finish spraypaint.
https://www.bullstore.nl/motip-hamerslag-lak-zilver-400-ml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4P7so-23wIVguR3Ch1Hrg93EAQYAiABEgLOsvD_BwE
Use multiple thin layers.
Let the paint dry for a couple of days before handling the bodies again.
The result is stunning! They look as if they come right from the factory!
The paint layer is pretty scratch resistant if you take some time to let the paint set.

Car dent and re-paint shop. They won't quote you a low price, but they DO know how to etch and paint aluminum, and you can get any color ever used on a car. Cadillac Pink. Bugatti Blue. Mercedes Gold. Candy Apple Red Metalflake. Clear-Coat a mile deep. Can leave it in your driveway for a year, and if it fails they will probably re-touch for good customer relations, so it ought to last a lifetime in a mike-locker.

PRR said:
Car dent and re-paint shop. They won't quote you a low price, but they DO know how to etch and paint aluminum, and you can get any color ever used on a car. Cadillac Pink. Bugatti Blue. Mercedes Gold. Candy Apple Red Metalflake. Clear-Coat a mile deep. Can leave it in your driveway for a year, and if it fails they will probably re-touch for good customer relations, so it ought to last a lifetime in a mike-locker.

This is the perfect option but most expensive (X3), which is why I didn't mention it. The original poster has basically a can ready to spray and budget. But these guys have perfect spray systems and color knowledge. I have needed them once or twice.

Best ever was with a picture of a hot rod with incredible color and I told them "I want this exact green can you do it please". The guy looks at me with an immediate question: do you want just the green or with the gold shimmer lacquer like on the picture.

Professionals are awesome. :D

Bead blast with a medium size media. Clean in lacquer thinner, and clear coat with
low gloss lacquer. Gives a nice Nuemann like finish.

Back