Low Low Voltage electrolytics in Neve gear?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlaury

I've been repairing and refurbishing Neve gear for more than 30 years. I've noticed
the use of 3.3V, 6.3V and 10V in lots of Neve gear. I always try to accommodate by replacing
with the exact value and rating of these capacitors. I have spent hours researching data sheets
to find a difference between the low low voltage and the (16V)  higher voltage capacitors.
Other than a slight difference in size, I can't figure out the logic. ESR, ripple current and other specs
are the same.

Anyone have input on this subject?

RonL

Yes, back in the bad old days higher voltage electrolytic caps were fatter/larger. Using only the voltage you needed saved space.

Modern electrolytic capacitor technology makes for much smaller capacitors.

Relax, don't worry, be happy.

JR

Higher voltage tends to have lower ESR.  But as JR mentioned it was originally probably just a size issue.  And probably cost as well.

I never got into the detail of the amplifier designs when I was at Neve but I am certain the others are right, it was a question of availability and size. In those days just about every component used was made in Europe or the USA so there was not the choice of suppliers there is today. Electrolytics were almost exclusively Phillips and Siemens but for best volumetric efficiency tantalums were used.

Cheers

Ian

I just re-capped my DIY dual bench supply (from about 1972), I was astounded by the difference in the cap size.  It still works, I also replaced a couple of 741's with OP07's.. It still works fine.

Attachments

• Big_Cap_sml.jpg
    Big_Cap_sml.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 35
Bigger diameter tends to mean longer life expectancy, all other factors equal. So most often I replace with whatever fits the original real-estate best..

Jakob E.

ruffrecords said:
I never got into the detail of the amplifier designs when I was at Neve but I am certain the others are right, it was a question of availability and size. In those days just about every component used was made in Europe or the USA so there was not the choice of suppliers there is today. Electrolytics were almost exclusively Phillips and Siemens but for best volumetric efficiency tantalums were used.

Cheers

Ian

I've been pricing Phillips (Now BC Components) They are 10 times the price of Panasonic FC.

Back