a look inside Mcintosh

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MountCyanide said:
That was excellent.
Great components and huge custom transformers.
I've never wanted one of those until now.

yeah I want some for my mains, that was the thing at one point... But they are not inexpensive

warpie said:
Impressive!

Do they also make the tubes in-house?

No. From what I have read, tubes are rebranded with mcintosh on them, made from a russian factory or some other eastern block place.

pucho812 said:
yeah I want some for my mains, that was the thing at one point... But they are not inexpensive

No. From what I have read, tubes are rebranded with mcintosh on them, made from a russian factory or some other eastern block place.

probably after matched test ?

I bet the door was open. Mike in a dead space, but connected to a hard room via large opening, the bounce-back may be extra clear.

Thanks for the post Pucho.very cool. Especially the full manufacturing process and not being owned by Harman.

Seems like women like Sally have always contributed to Transformer winding.  Hats off to Sally!

What’s up with the choice of that crappy looking speaker in the chamber? Cheeky!

Not to be sexist but for some reason  unknown to me and in my experience, women are at the front of the line winding transformers.  They are very hands on and often.  I never gave it thought till it was pointed out now. 

pucho812 said:
Not to be sexist but for some reason  unknown to me and in my experience, women are at the front of the line winding transformers.  They are very hands on and often.  I never gave it thought till it was pointed out now.

I don't know why but right now I'm thinking about spinning wool or cotton...or loom
maybe historically the tools and technical get close, so the first transformer factory hire women because they got the skill for this, and this become usual or "traditional" in industry ?
Just  a guess ...
Best
Zam

I have seen a number of studies that have found that women generally have better manual dexterity and fine motor control.

MountCyanide said:
I've been to Cinemag a few times and that's how it is there too.
The old point to point wiring inside of transistors it seems were always women.

I think Jensen is the same way too!

Women can be worked cheaper, aside from any alleged manual skill.

It depends on the culture. There was a time when married women did not work. In the US this changed radically in WWII when the young men were off to war and the experienced men were managing massive production ramp-up. Post-war many women left the labor pool, but you could always find less-rich women or post-children women to work cheaper than a young man. OTOH in post-war Italy I have seen a photo of a radio factory where all the workers, 95% female in the US, were >95% male-- different culture.

I think if we could truly have a gender-blind policy for workers, we would soon see 1% male 1% female and 98% robots. Robots are already displacing very low pay workers in China. Easier to manage.

iampoor1 said:
I have seen a number of studies that have found that women generally have better manual dexterity and fine motor control.

I think Jensen is the same way too!

Yes Jensen is also mainly women in the assembly line, also Electro Harmonix has mainly women, I saw some videos of the assembly line in the fuzz documentary.

Latest posts

Back