Via bridges for increasing pour coverage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Would using via's to bridge pour areas that would otherwise be left open or orphaned be a bad idea?

The only time I've seen cards peppered with trace-less via's is for thermal reasons or multi-layer pcb's, so I'm fully prepared to be told it's a no no.
I'd like your input nonetheless, thank you!

iVMuyhh.jpg

Oops, I learned this is called 'via stitching' and searches say it's ok to do, but doesn't have much benefit at audio frequencies.

boji said:
Oops, I learned this is called 'via stitching' and searches say it's ok to do, but doesn't have much benefit at audio frequencies.
It can help or maybe not, depends on the circumstance.  Generalities are only true in "general". YMMV

I am not a fan of trying to use brute force (like slightly lower impedance ground path) to insure signal integrity (I prefer using differential forward/back referencing).

I have used vias before to improve thermal transfer for SMD chips with heatsinks on the bottom.

JR

Thanks John. Seeing as this card is passing balanced signal too, worrying over stitching is probably not the best use of time. :D

Anyways, happy new year to you and everyone else!

Having a copper pour not tied to anything is very detrimental for high frequency applications, proper stitching is crucial. I would still lean against it at audio frequencies, but that is in part due to habit,  never directly tested it.

is in part due to habit,  never directly tested it.

Thanks 12ax,

Not to belabor the subject, but is the other part your concern it might negatively affect signal?
I guess I'm asking if there's any chance it could work against me. If so, I'll just remove them.

Edit: I should mention this is for shielding only; no audio signals directly reference 0v from this board.

It could negatively affect things if the copper pour is left floating,  not electrically connected. You mention shielding,  what is it connected to?

Generally you pour copper on the top layer,  then stitch with vias to the bottom ground plane. Or you can omit the top layer pour altogether. Both ways tend to work fine.

The issues arise if you pour copper on the top layer but then don't properly stitch. This caused me problems in the past,  but it was for a very high frequency application. It may be a non-issue at audio frequencies, but can't say for sure since have never directly done it.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Or you can omit the top layer pour altogether.
That's how I've done things so far. In this case, a single pcb is needed but they will be oriented horizontally,  four across, two high.

You mention shielding,  what is it connected to?
Pours are split. DC side, chassis, balanced signal side, acom.  Both will tie to respective bus bars shared with the group aca's in this bucket.

bCxCzff.jpg

Latest posts

Back