Acoustics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Recently I’ve had to move out of my old space and have been working through building a new mix room.... it made me think that it might be nice to have an acoustics sub forum here since it’s a very diy friendly subject, and arguably as important as the gear we put in the rooms...  any interest?

Acoustic treatments seems like a "one and done" need, that after fixing a room or space it doesn't come up again.

For now we can easily handle it in Studio A. If it grows unwieldy we can adjust.

JR

I agree with JR

My 2 cents: I got sick and tired of endless threads on purple forum about "help me fix my small room"

Better get some books on acoustics or pay an engineer to give you some guidance

hazel said:
I agree with JR

My 2 cents: I got sick and tired of endless threads on purple forum about "help me fix my small room"

Better get some books on acoustics or pay an engineer to give you some guidance
It is ultimately a decision for Ethan and I suspect a dedicated forum is not much of a burden (I haven't asked him).

An old friend of mine (Ethan Winer a different Ethan) sells acoustic room treatment products and dedicated a chapter or more in his last book on acoustics.

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

JR

I would be open to an acoustics sub,  but agree it may not be necessary,  as I'm not sure how active it would be.

The John Sayers forum is good for acoustics.  You can also learn a good bit on GS,  provided you filler through the noise.

There’s an app for that.  REW and  audio tools for smart phones.  Also suggest Alton Everest for simple math and home built treatments. Need to put time in to theory of. And solutions.  We do mostly electronics and hardware here.

JohnRoberts said:
For now we can easily handle it in Studio A. If it grows unwieldy we can adjust.

No prob, I just thought it might stir up some interesting conversations if there was a specific spot for it.

My personal interest is small room acoustics as more and more studios are in smaller, non purpose built rooms these days.  Diaphragmatic absorber design is of particular interest, but diffusion is a still evolving and interesting subject as well esp when used in small rooms.

At any rate, I realized that I’ve hardly ever seen any acoustics talk in this forum was just curious if folks around here might have something to say on the subject from a diy perspective.... 

When I’ve gotten far enough along in my build to take some measurements I’ll post something in studio A.

I've ventured sometimes on sites that have a dedicated acoustics forum and most of the times been appalled by the low quality of the content.
I would be delighted if we could have a dedicated section with the same quality as the others.
Unfortunately there are several factors that make me doubt:
  • The most frequent question is "what is the magical treatment that cost nothing, self-applies in minutes and gives instantaneous perfect response"?
  • The most frequent answer is "buy my product".
  • Then someone exposes some crackpot theory.
If we could avoid these pitfalls, that would be a nice thing.

fazer said:
There’s an app for that.  REW and  audio tools for smart phones.  Also suggest Alton Everest for simple math and home built treatments. Need to put time in to theory of. And solutions.  We do mostly electronics and hardware here.
Indeed REW is a very nice measurement tool, but it doesn't help designing treatment. What is needeed is knowledge.
I'll check your suggestion for Alton Everest. GS is just unbearable to me.

abbey road d enfer said:
I've ventured sometimes on sites that have a dedicated acoustics forum and most of the times been appalled by the low quality of the content.
I would be delighted if we could have a dedicated section with the same quality as the others.
Unfortunately there are several factors that make me doubt:
  • The most frequent question is "what is the magical treatment that cost nothing, self-applies in minutes and gives instantaneous perfect response"?
  • The most frequent answer is "buy my product".
I advise drummers to buy my product.  ::)

• Then someone exposes some crackpot theory.
If we could avoid these pitfalls, that would be a nice thing.
That life on the internets and sorting the wheat from the chaff is a modern coping skill...

I feel like the community here works to keep posters honest within our respective areas of expertise..

JR

Latest posts

Back