Invertor Variable frequency drive of power transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

This is something I touched on in another post , Id like to seek out more opinions on it .

I want to try a single phase VFD to to provide a variable voltage and frequency input to a mains transformer , that way I could tune both voltage and frequency , reduce core loss in the transformer,reduce magnetic radiation from it  ,and make PSU filtering much more effective at say 400hzx2  . Comercial motor drives are coming in cheap from China  ,typically .5kw is the smallest . Extra filtering between VFD and transformer might be a good plan , would a standard mains filter like used in modern switchers be appropriate here?

I might try the idea out at work next week , I could have the VFD and logging multimeter attached to the transformer then sweep the frequency under load and measure the resulting ripple after a bridge and cap . Would a current clamp meter in close proximity to the transformer give an indication of how much magnetic leakage  was being radiated ?

most of the VFD's i have seen put out hideous noise, might have even blown up a scope with one of those,

the big ones have been known to interfere with air traffic frequencies by radiating noise back along the power grid,

Hmmm yes now you mention it we have a huge 100kw VFD in work for testing motors , when the thing is switched on theres an audible high pitched drone sound fills the whole building , most likely a motor doesnt care about noise on the line at all so probably no need for a sine wave on the output of these things , I might still try an experiment on a small scale just to see what happens , might just end up trading 60hz magnetic noise for tons of hash instead , nothing ventured nothing gained though . I'll certain be very carefull about my test equipment while Im at it .

Many thanks once again CJ , best wishes to you in 2019

Latest posts

Back