Studer Revox Any Diy Project-Kit Or Rev-Eng ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SIXTYNINER said:
Hi All

looking for a stereo  in-out box with Studer - Revox sound type ,

any diy project - kit  or rev-eng  about ?

thanks for any post about.
cheers

There seems to be several links to service manuals and schematics around. Which model are we talking about?

scott2000 said:
Elektrotanya has both service manuals if you were interested in the workings of them.....  I'm guessing that is what you were saying with Rev-Eng???

not properly….

more specific  ,
kit with pcb bom list etc… ,
classic serious diy project like Gssl , Bluzzi "84" , CAPI 500 modules and 51X Rack , etc..

scott2000 said:
Hmmmm....Maybe like the DIYRE colour modules???.....

Is this tape saturation you want to DIY???

Sorry if I'm not understanding.....

looking for a stereo box in-out and insert option as well , with Studer 800 series and Revox PR99 in-out stages
cheers

SIXTYNINER said:
looking for a stereo box in-out and if possible an insert option with Studer 800 series and Revox PR99 sound
the tape saturation it is not essential ,
Studer/Revox are famous for being very neutral (some would say lifeless). The essential sound of a Studer 800 or Revox PR99 is the sound of tape.

SIXTYNINER said:
sorry but  my ears cannot agree with  that you wrote  ; )
Which part you don't agree with?
The neutral part, or the sound of tape part, maybe both.
Ok I think you've listened to a Studer A80 in "Ready" mode; isn't it a faithful image of the incoming signal, nothing more, nothing less?
I certainly can't deny a recording done with a Studer has a certain distinct quality, but to me, it is clear that the German engineers strove to respect the audioprogram with neutrality.

Hi Sixtyniner,

If you want to experiment/play around with a Studer device, I would suggest that you get hold of a line discrete driver card from an A80 tape machine.

It has an unbalanced input, transformer balanced output and a gain of about 34 dB that you can pot down with a 50K log pot on the input.  It goes from about 10Hz to over 100KHz with very low distortion and what comes out is what went in.  The ones with either a 5532 or the discrete Studer op amp (or better still. the EAR op amp) have a lower distortion.

That way you can experiment without having to build anything.  The circuit diagram can be found on the Studer FTP document site.

Regards

Mike

madswitcher said:
Hi Sixtyniner,

If you want to experiment/play around with a Studer device, I would suggest that you get hold of a line discrete driver card from an A80 tape machine.

It has an unbalanced input, transformer balanced output and a gain of about 34 dB that you can pot down with a 50K log pot on the input.  It goes from about 10Hz to over 100KHz with very low distortion and what comes out is what went in.  The ones with either a 5532 or the discrete Studer op amp (or better still. the EAR op amp) have a lower distortion.

That way you can experiment without having to build anything.  The circuit diagram can be found on the Studer FTP document site.

Regards

Mike

Very much thanks for post  !  :)

I would like to have a real hard box (no plug in) with that  in-out stages , and insert point as well  :)

started the request discussion after a successless check around
about  related serious  diy kit  or step by step rev. eng.
(considered what made for less important devices , transformers rev. eng. included...)

seem there is not interest about ….  :'(

I think purusha is just looking for some famous name brand to clone and easily sell.

He's not really interested in the fact that tape without tape is nothing.

Kingston said:
I think purusha is just looking for some famous name brand to clone and easily sell.
Please  explain in a simple way what you mean with  (right now ! )

Kingston said:
He's not really interested in the fact that tape without tape is nothing.

as for the previous post ...
Do not worry , sound is subjective perception (only personal taste..)….

AND :
What would be bad if I wanted to pay money  for a diy kit (as asked on start post ) even if it was useless ..
(there are many others diy kit-projects around with a promise of magical sound ,
that are only just grab moneys advertising …… , 
one more or one less, what difference would it make ….,
tech research apart , ...even if useless...)

cheers  :)

PS:
please can you post the type of tape reels recorders that you used ?

Latest posts

Back