Adjusting the non-adjustable Grayhill switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello,

A while back bruno2000 (may he rest in peace) informed me that the non-adjustable and adjustable Grayhill 71 series were the same construction with different front covers. This came to mind as I was ordering parts recently and needed a 2 pole, single deck 71 series and only the non-adjustable ones were in stock at Mouser, and I wanted to order everything from the same place at the same time. So in case anyone here is needing these switches but can only find the non adjustable variety, here a quick guide how to make one out of the other:

Then the second one. When you do this, maintain pressure on the front and back of the switch body. If you don't the different colored sections might separate and fall apart. My first time performing this operation this happened and everything came undone, all the way down to the tiny piece of metal than make contact between the pole and the switch points. It was very exciting indeed.

Attachments

• Grayhill 3.jpg
    Grayhill 3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 2
Then, with the reversed bolts still in place carefully pull the top cover off. You will see the small holes like those on the front cover of the adjustable 71 series. The one I am using for show and tell is a 2 pole single deck, and there are already two (2) stop pins inside. If you have a single pole, you will probably only have one stop pin, so to make changes you would need to use a small section of a component lead. If that is the case, you would need to make sure it's cut short enough to fit under the front cover but not too short as it could fall out of its intended position whilst inside the switch.

Attachments

• Grayhill 4.gif
    Grayhill 4.gif
    237.6 KB · Views: 3
To remove the stop pin, I would recommend using a small magnet. This is also the easiest way that I know of to remove the pin from and adjustable version if a mistake is made in the placement or if working with a used switch.

Once this is done, put it all back together and then all your dreams will come true. At least the ones involving switches.

Again, I'll post pics when the upload issue is sorted.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• Grayhill 5.gif
    Grayhill 5.gif
    230.7 KB · Views: 3
A very handy guide. Thanks for posting.

I would add one small tip. I am always losing the stop pins. I have found that small sections of regular sewing needles fit perfectly.

Cheers

Ian

I'm glad I'm able to contribute something after all the help I've received here. I'm still getting the upload folder is full error. Hopefully later today it will be resolved.

Thanks!

Paul

While the upload error is real, it isn't helped by posting raw camera images so big that your fingerprints scare my dogs. 1.5Meg images? Here's your first two images in 0.075Meg.

Attachments

• PotatoCakes-trim.jpg
    PotatoCakes-trim.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
PRR said:
While the upload error is real, it isn't helped by posting raw camera images so big that your fingerprints scare my dogs. 1.5Meg images? Here's your first two images in 0.075Meg.

I did try scaling them down on later attempts. I will try to do so even further.

Thanks!

Paul

Back