Rigol 1052E digiscope noise pick up

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I have only just begun to use my Rigol 1052E digiscope in earnest recently. I was using it to look at SRPP tube stage outputs and also at HT dc supplies. In both cases I kept getting bursts or prolonged periods of high frequency oscillation in the tens of MHz region. After lots of experiments, changes of power supply, turning off mains borne ethernet and head scratching it turns out to be the scope itself. I was looking for small signals so I had it at its highest sensitivity (2mV/div). Even with the probe shorted to its ground clip I was getting small amounts of interference. It was not until by chance I moved the probe towards the LCD display that I discovered that was the source of the interference. I am using the probes supplied with it so I don't think it is a probe problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am using the probes supplied with it so I don't think it is a probe problem.

Anyone else seen this?
I have that scope and I quickly determined that the probes were not good. I don't recall the details but what I do remember is that when I switched to using some cheap switchable 1x/10x probes I got from Ebay (China), the results were much better. Try different probes. There's also a bandwidth limiting option in settings.

squarewave said:
I have that scope and I quickly determined that the probes were not good. I don't recall the details but what I do remember is that when I switched to using some cheap switchable 1x/10x probes I got from Ebay (China), the results were much better. Try different probes. There's also a bandwidth limiting option in settings.

Thanks for the tips. I already tried the bandwidth limit but it did not help. I will find some different probes.

Cheers

Ian

Back