Good price on mains Tx for tube gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted yesterday in the Black Market about a possible group buy of a custom linear HT supply of 250V at 300mA. I got a quote from International power.

Cheers

ian

I wish there were more transformer options in the States. Edcor is an option but I have had two of their transformers now that had voltages that were not what was specified. In the first case I f***** up my build because like an idiot I didn't test the windings first (red lines were supposed to be 300v when In fact they were 6.3v and as you can imagine the orange line...)  In the second case (having learned from the first) I had to send it back and wait another month to get an xfmr with the correct voltages as advertised.

dmp said:
+1
I've used Antek toroids in a few tube builds.
Never used them my self but I notice in their accessories section that they have various sizes of steel case for toroids - handy extra screening.

Cheers

Ian

A 2 or 3 inch section of steel pipe could be welded to a square piece of metal to create a very nice Toroid shield .any unsightly welds would be well hidden inside . Not sure the exact thickness pipes come in but certainly 2-3mm steel would be common ,should give a good amount of magnetic screening.

Just working on a layout for my PSU , two Ht transformers opposite sides of a repurposed Microwave oven TX for LT , both HT transformers are at right angles to the LT ,but at the sametime sheilded from each other by having the LT TX in between , it also shields the Dc side of the circuit from primary mains wires and lands the secondary wires right where I want them . Hopefully the psu chassis wont require sheilding cans on the tx's so I can spend that money to can up all the iron on the signal chassis instead .

For small toroids, the steel boxes used to fit mains outlets into wall can sometimes be used. They are very cheap but come in a limited set of sizes. I once found a very nice steel box on eBay that was a perfect fit for a 100VA toroid. Ebay is always worth a look for things like this.

Cheers

Ian

Thats a great idea to use the little conduit boxes for mains wiring as a toroid sheild , cheap and available right off the shelf.

I've used outlet boxes wrapped with mu-metal. Works well.
I don't think a steel case provides very much shielding on it's own - but it does combined with a layer of mu-metal.
I did some tests of this as did DaveP on one of his tube preamp builds.
There are cheap ones on ebay too - search for 'toroid shield'

Antek “as” series has a steel band wrapped around for shielding

This one is a great little xfmr and has a 260V and 280V tap for most tube -project needs

http://www.antekinc.com/as-05t280-50va-280v-transformer/

Latest posts

Back