OPA2132PA getting hot in a Trident series 65

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

substitute

Hi, I've been recapping a Trident 65, the owner wanted to try out a better opamp in the line amp position (IC 1). In googling about possible upgrades I came across this thread that suggests replacing the line and mic opamps with an OPA132...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.audio.pro/YNoab0to69s

I swapped the two opamps tonight, fed a test tone to the line input and put a scope on the direct output. It passed signal normally but after a few seconds I noticed that old familiar burning smell, and discovered that both the mic and line opamps were very hot to the touch. 

As best as I can tell they should be compatible, any advice on figuring this one out?

Here's a link to the manual, input channel schematic is on pg 63...

http://thehistoryofrecording.com/Manuals/Trident/Trident_Series_65_Manual.pdf

Thanks!

The tl071 is a single channel
The tl072 is a duel channel
Opa134 is a single channel and can be a sub for a tl071

The opa2134 is duel channel and can sub for a tl072

😎

Yeah once I figured that out I was gonna delete the original post, but better to leave it up as a cautionary tale should anyone else stumble down that path.

We all have put in a wrong chip at least once,  it's because they all have the same foot print.  Similar to putting in an  polarized cap backwards, it happens at leas once..

Chip backwards one time here...... ruins it pretty fast.... :-[

and....
an earlier Mytek  I've seen has a socket one direction but the chip needs to go the other way..... tricky

I recently found an error in an older TL Audio compressor....the pcb has the cap marked wrong and the cap is installed that way..... guess it's not critical... Coupling cap?......still works but it's there...

I recently smoked a kurzweil k2500 trying to instal a scsi cf card reader in place of the floppy drive. Turns out that kurzweil did their scsi connections backwards.  :'(

I'll get a thread going about that eventually, right now I just want to throw the thing in the trash.

Back