DIY dual discrete OpAmps in DIP8 footprint

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoplex

Hi folks,

I recently discovered dual discret opamps like the Sparkos SS3602 (https://sparkoslabs.com/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/) or the Sonic Imagers Labs 994Enh-Ticha (http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model994DiscreteOpAmp-Ticha.html)
They give an fantastic alternative to NE5532 and the likes, especially in audio paths!
However they come in quite pricey at 80-90$ per piece. So I was wondering if there is a DIY alternative to the units by Sparkos or Sonic Imagery Labs. Probably it will me SMD but I can handle that.

Thank you
:)

I'm not sure, but I don't think I posted about these here on the forum. All single opamps, except the last purple one which is a dual, one amp on each pcb side.

The green one uses a dual JFET for the differential input, which went obsolete between the time I designed this a couple years ago and started building a couple months ago. It's also a very basic and simplified circuit because it used SOT23 transistors, which take up too much space to allow more advanced circuit techniques. The blue one uses a lownoise dual JFET from Toshiba and the rest is these mini duals, that allow a much higher parts density. The circuit is a simple one-stage folded cascode. The yellow one uses pnp BJT inputs with a standard two-stage topology employing more advanced elements like emitter current source, active current mirror load etc. The performance is actually good enough to use it in cleaner soundpaths (HIFI, recording, ...) as well. It consists of 10 transistors and 13 passives. The red one is all FETs and a major PITA to build. Took me two hours of matching transistors and it still didn't really go where I wanted it to. I only built one  ::). The purple one as I already said is a dual opamp. The circuit is similar to the simpler single green one, but because of the smaller packages used I was able to fit one on each side of the pcb.

Passive parts for all of these are 0603, so still ok to handle. All you need is a fine solder tip, tweezers, fine solder and flux for soldering the little 6-pin packages. The difficulty in building these isn't the size of the parts, but the closeness to each other. Soldering one resistor can reflow another one because of the overall low thermal mass of the parts and the pcb. You have to start in the middle and work your way to the outside. While there are easier things to build it could be a nice project for people who don't have much experience with soldering SMD. Parts cost per opamp is around 1,50€, so not too much of an investment.

The intended application was for guitar effects originally, where different topologies and nonlinearities could possibly be interesting in distortion circuits. I designed all of these before I ever built the first one, and the evolution in complexity and performance is clearly visible. It's an interesting challenge to squeeze out as much performance as possible out of 1cm² of pcb real estate. I've considered redoing the layouts of the better singles to sandwich to for a dual, but so far it stayed low on my priority list.

Volker, that looks really cool!

For a clean signal a 5532/5534 is usually good enough.

If you need the drive capabilities of a 2520 footprint DOA you'll run into thermal problems with a small DIP8 dual op amp. But you won't need it to be that powerfull if you're planning to put it into an existing circuit designed for DIP8.

A few years ago I was planning on having 2520 clones (with less powerfull output transistors) in discrete format as singles and duals produced to put them, among other things, in my console. I never got to finish the design though due to limited experience with PCB design, parts selection and obviously because of time constraints.

I still think it would be nice, especially for the common active EQ circuits found in many consoles, where to my wars a 2520 sounds really cool.

Maybe we could crowd source the design and parts selection and have a batch produced in a group buy scheme. The cost of mass production is asthonishingly small, even with quality parts like MELF resistors. Think single digits for a finished op amp, not 80-90 bucks. You might have to solder on legs and maybe a matched pair of through hole input transistors.

JohnRoberts said:
Just imagine if you could shrink all those components down to fit in an IC?

JR

Been there, done that. But this is more fun. And cheaper. Plus I don't have a Cadence Virtuoso license at home.

volker said:
Been there, done that. But this is more fun. And cheaper. Plus I don't have a Cadence Virtuoso license at home.
Back in the 70s the company I worked for did a semi-custom IC set... the (interdesign monochip) chips had a bunch of uncommitted  transistors and resistors, but no metallization layer, so a custom metallization layer resulted in a custom chip.

Decades later at Peavey we kicked the tires on one full custom IC but it was seriously expensive NRE, and didn't happen.

JR

Back