Getting inside a Rode M3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever opened up a black Rode M3?
I bought one cheaply on Amazon Marketplace and, after waiting a week for it to arrive, it doesn't bloody work. asthetically perfect condition, but no sound. I thought about checking the insides, but I can't get to the capsule part.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I'm getting no sound with either the phantom power or 9 volt battery.
It's not my soundcard/phantom power/battery/lead etc... I've double checked all these with another mic AKG C1000S.

Can the Rode M3 be opened/disassembled, or should I just send it back to Amazon?

Open it and look for any obvious broken wires. But most of it will be probably tiny surface mount components that would be difficult to fix even if you knew what the problem was. So yeah, you might consider just returning it.

Yes, I saw the power switch... Red light flickers on for a second, but doesn't remain lit.  I suspect someone pulled a fast one on Amazon and swapped their dud mic for a new one, then got a refund. Pisses me off that Amazon has put this back in circulation, waisting people time.
I can't see an obvious our easy way to get to the circuit board. Not like with the silver model M3.
I'll be sending it back today.
Thanks anyway.

I do have an M3. The LED doesnt remain lit unless the battery is running out.
You're probably right about someone switching the M3 out at Amazon though I've seen the way they box and treat some of their packages, it wouldnt surprise me if it got damaged en-route to you.

I sold my M3 because I couldn't figure out how to get it open...

I didn't like it that much, compared to other cheap pencil mics. Fairly low output (for a Rode) and the sound didn't do much for my ears.

If you bought it as "new", I'd send it back. Mine was second hand, so YMMV...

That's the strange thing. I was going to go for a second AKG to have a stereo pair, but on the gearslutz forum everyone are soooo anti C1000s that I thought I must be missing something. They absolutely hate AKGs for some reason.
I personally don't mind mine. Especially for micing piano.

I started looking at the M3 because the forums seemed to love it over the AKG.

I jumped on the Rode M3 offer because it was listed at 28 euro on Marketplace....now I know why.

M3 sounds nothing like c1000.

I can't recomment enough their NT3, one of my favorite mics ever. True condenser with great capsule. There is also a mod for it in case HF is too much for you.

I love my R0de mics. I have a pair of NT5s (New capsules) an NT1, NT2 , M3 and M1 (was my main live vocal mic until I got a BD M88). They all have their plus and minus. The 10 year warranty is really awesome. They replaced my NT2 a few years in when the capsule started making popping noise.
And I dont think the C1000s sounds bad either. It has its uses and I generally pair it with the M3 and get great results in whatever I use them for. Yes, the M3 sounds a little different but its not night and day. I'm not certain anyone could really pick out which was which  without luck being heavily involved.

Mylithra said:
And I dont think the C1000s sounds bad either. It has its uses and I generally pair it with the M3 and get great results in whatever I use them for.
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I went ahead and ordered a new M3 to pair with my AKG. I'm glad someone is pairing them and getting good results. I'll be interested to see how they balance out.
My AKG is am old second hand model made in Austria and before they introduced the cutoff switch and led. I keep telling myself that the build quality was better back then.... That's the lie I tell myself.

By the way, there is tremendous amount of BS on GS. So i wouldn't pay attention to what they say there.

People here tend to backup their opinions with facts, measurements, part/design origin and type. Not a lot of warm/harsh/vintage/vibe bs here.

kingkorg said:
By the way, there is tremendous amount of BS on GS. So i wouldn't pay attention to what they say there.

People here tend to backup their opinions with facts, measurements, part/design origin and type. Not a lot of warm/harsh/vintage/vibe bs here.
Couldn't agree more. I don't get a lot of the hate over there.

Back