Roland Juno Chorus by TC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Seems too good to be true. In an interview they said it's true BBD. Behringer did great Dimension C clone which i own. So i ordered this guy just now, can't wait to see what's inside. Delivery time sounds a bit fishy to me, as it seems to be too quick. The thing is not even on TC site yet.

https://www.gear4music.no/no/Gitar-and-Bass/TC-Electronic-June-60-Synthesizer-Chorus/2T2Z?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i0yX9FED0L_HmHh1JHtz4hO1HYi5w7UWR81I16O8vlnMy4NhI8G-GhoCrGUQAvD_BwE

Hi

Done since months by adding a line input to my juno 60  8)
If this chorus clone have same sound as original it's a great tool !!!

Best
Zam

They are still making BBDs in china (old Matsushita technology ) AFAIK.

That technology was eclipsed by digital decades ago... but the customer is always right.  ::)

JR 

Cool audio does all kinds of interesting stuff for synths and effects ,
I fitted a tone control bypass on my boss chorus ensemble , just gives it a little more edge , I also made the coupling cap to the chorus circuit larger ,and it gives it a little more shift n swirl  in the lower registers ,running a pair of them in stereo makes the whole thing even more versatile ,it gives great width to mono sounds , I found different ways of adding in the effect signal to the original by flipping phase of sends/ returns ,when the actual effect partially cancels its subtle  but very usable . I'd be very interested to see the circuit of the Roland juno type , I believe there is something special in the way they implemented it  .

JohnRoberts said:
That technology was eclipsed by digital decades ago... but the customer is always right.  ::)

JR

Hi JR

I partially agree with you, but in Juno60 case I assure you the chorus have unique sound.
The detuning character coupled to the LFO give an special space...

Best
Zam

JohnRoberts said:
I'm talking out of school a little but I think BBD sounds good when you overdrive it a little (you sort of have to because of BBDs are otherwise pretty noisey) in which case there is some non-linear behavior that digital does not model well. This is most evident when playing guitar through patches with mild distortion.

Listen to this:

Klangteppich [review] - Strymon Mobius Chorus vs. Roland Juno 60 Chorus

and tell me that the Stymon just does NOT match the Juno 60 chorus. It sounds weak and flat by comparison.

The strymon doesnt come close for me either , doesnt give the same stereo width as the juno  bbd . The older Boss Ce-5 had the bbd ,later they changed it to  digital but the original bbd  version is worth more .
Does the Tc chorus have cv/gate connections too , or how do you set up the mod speed ?

squarewave said:
I'm talking out of school a little but I think BBD sounds good when you overdrive it a little (you sort of have to because of BBDs are otherwise pretty noisey) in which case there is some non-linear behavior that digital does not model well. This is most evident when playing guitar through patches with mild distortion.

Listen to this:

Klangteppich [review] - Strymon Mobius Chorus vs. Roland Juno 60 Chorus

and tell me that the Stymon just does NOT match the Juno 60 chorus. It sounds weak and flat by comparison.
I still have studio guys using a delay line flanger I designed back in the early 80s (Loft 440/450 delay flanger). 

Of course you could model BBD overload but it is not linear but occurring spaced over time and adding to itself across hundreds of stages in series. Over the years people have worked on this but it takes a lot of computer power just to make distortion.

I don't find it magical at all, maybe if it was people would have still bought my old BBD effects instead of the new/crude digital, back decades ago. The customer who is always right spoke back then to me in significant numbers... by buying digital delays.

JR

scott2000 said:
Sorry.....Was a joke????

The older young'ns might get it......

add Juno or chorus to it and it'll pop up something........

Actually sounded good anyhow  iirc.....
OK still don't understand what you are saying and two tries is enough

JR 

What is interesting about this circuit is that it is two relatively short delay BBDs (0.64 ~ 12.8 ms) [1] that are modulated out-of-phase and then mixed together:

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2019-01-17%2B18-59-43.png

Usually chorus pedals are just one BBD that gets mixed with dry signal.

[1] https://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Datasheets/MN3009.pdf

Back in the early 80s my studio BBD delay flanger was designed so you could patch two together and they would drive each other with opposite direction clock modulation..(since each alternates pitch shift up and down half the time, when you put two together coordinated properly you get three continuous pitch shifted voices).. I think this effect we invented was later copied by roland in a stand alone efx product.

JR

Ah so it is true stereo then , I knew there was something slightly unique about it ,but never saw the schem before .

We used have a Bel Flanger in a studio I used work , was nicely built and did what it said on the tin alright , really wasnt as good sounding as a  revox B77 with  varispeed and a Yamaha Spx-1000 for secondary delay though.

TAL is great, and closest to the real thing. However, it's still a VST. So latency, stability for live...

The one that sounds very close for cheap is Behringer CC300 (Dimension C clone). However becomes very hard to find, and not quite same as Juno C.

Back