Fader panel thickness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I just had a bunch of fader panels made for the Mark III. Like all my panels I had them made out of 2.5mm thick aluminium because that is the thickness you need to sit flush in a Eurorack. I got a bunch of low cost P&G compatible fader caps off eBay and tried them out. They all sit visibly high on the tangs. I then grabbed an old Neve fader panel with a P&G fader and visually the cap sits much closer to the panel top. So I took the cap off this fader and tried it on one of my panels. It sits high. So I took one of the eBay ones and tried it on the Neve panel and it sits just right. So I measured the thickness of the Neve fader panel and it turns out to be 3mm.

I never really thought about this but it looks like the 'standard' fader panel thickness is 3mm. I guess I will need to shim mine up by 0.5mm.

Cheers

Ian

mjrippe said:
If 2.5mm sits flush with the frame, I might try using 0.5mm washers between the panel and the fader.
Exactly my thinking. I just tried it and it took a couple of washers to get the spacing looking right because it turns out my panels are only 2mm thick (never thought to check them until now).

Cheers

Ian

Hello

ruffrecords said:
I never really thought about this but it looks like the 'standard' fader panel thickness is 3mm. I guess I will need to shim mine up by 0.5mm.

yes...3mm is what seem standard panel thickness from all fader manufacturer datasheet I look at when designing the fader automation, T bar version to be precise.
Some accept thickness up to 5mm (at datasheet) but I suspect the caps too close to panel if you insert them full.
But T bar is tight fitting so it should be possible to insert them partially without trouble...I guess.

Here I finally use 3mm, like the feel at "user" end, maybe 3.5 will be better but not compatible with whole mechanical integration

For your thinner panels (also dictated by whole mechanical integration it seem), as already say add washer  ;)

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back