Manual for Dept. of Commerce Presto CA 594 amplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may need to have some number of posts under your belt, or moderator approval. 

I feel like someone here posted that whole manual recently.  Look in tech docs section?

Thanks. I did look, but maybe in the wrong spot. I'll try again.
Found it yesterday in my stepdad's stuff as I close out the estate. Only knew it had value because I'd seen one on auction a few weeks ago. It had a price tag of $10 on it from a garage sale he'd held a few years back. No takers. Plan to restore it with new resistors. The caps look good, and the transformer was replaced in the 1960's with a mil-spec unit.

I'm not exactly sure I saw it here, I may be confused.  Different Dept. of Commerce thread maybe? 

I think I actually have an original power transformer for one of those.....

It's certainly an older unit--was probably produced in early 1944, judging from component labels. I think I'm glad it has a newer transformer. After 75 years those old ones can have problems.
I saw mention of a manual in a thread from about four years ago, but no joy yet.

Bob

Thanks, Mike!
My balloon has been abruptly deflated, though. The manual gives the flat response as only between 100-4000. It'll be interesting to see how that compares to some actual measurements when I power it up.
The unit I have deviates from the schematic here and there, two years after the manual was released. No doubt they wanted to improve the response to something like 30-30,000. ;-)

Bob,  maybe you haven't noticed; the telephone response is WHY people like these.  Look at my other posts in Dept of Commerce threads if you haven't seen them. 

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I'd misunderstood the discussions. I thought this one had a small market because of the limited bandwidth.
Any tips for the restoration?

I haven't seen this particular model.  If it has oil caps, those are probably good. 

I haven't tested capacitor leakage yet, but the values all look good. The original composition resistors are another story, however. Some are off by 50 percent.

Latest posts

Back