Gold

Adhesives
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
I have a few different Loctite two part adhesives in  cartridges with a dispenser. I tried gluing two pieces of nylon together. I'm using  EA E-30CL which is supposed to bond plastic. I applied the adhesive and clamped the two pieces together. I waited over 48 hours before I unclamped them. I was easily able to break the two pieces apart. I was also able to easily scrape off the adhesive with a razor blade. What did I do wrong?

I didn't do anything special to prepare the surface. I wiped it down with 99% Isopropol. I just read the literature on that adhesive and it said it needs pockets (I forget the wording) for the adhesive to sit in. Should I score the surfaces?

I would also like to start bonding aluminum with adhesive. I figure if they can glue cars together I can glue some metal together. What kind surface prep and adhesive is strongest for aluminum?

hitchhiker

Re: Adhesives
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
I used E6000 to bond poypropylene webbing and it is a strong bond a year later.
Very strong smelling stuff so it has to be done out doors.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:00:28 PM »
Detroit has been glueing cars together your years... IIRC 3M is a major supplier.

JR
John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...

Gold

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
I read some Loctite technical literature. They say you must rough up the surfaces to be bonded. They like sand blasting for plastics and a chemical etch for metal. I'll try the 3M Scotch-Brite wheels I have for the rotary tool. They don't leave residue. Acetone doesn't seem to damage nylon so I'll use that to clean and degrease.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:34 PM »
I second clear E6000. Oliver Archut turned me onto it for building mics, but I’ve ended up using it all over the place.