Shipping worldwide from Germany is expensive now!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Just for information, shipping worldwide from Germany is now up to 400% more expensive for private customer. It is not allowed anymore to ship objects (e.g tubes, transformer etc. ) with Deutsche Post International Maxibrief (international letter). This is only for documents now. We have to use DHL international delivery service for objects/ goods, now.  :mad:

german link:

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187482710/Deutsche-Post-Porto-fuer-Privatkunden-bis-zu-400-Prozent-teurer.html

rock soderstrom said:
Just for information, shipping worldwide from Germany is now up to 400% more expensive for private customer. It is not allowed anymore to ship objects (e.g tubes, transformer etc. ) with Deutsche Post International Maxibrief (international letter). This is only for documents now. We have to use DHL international delivery service for objects/ goods, now.  :mad:

german link:

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187482710/Deutsche-Post-Porto-fuer-Privatkunden-bis-zu-400-Prozent-teurer.html

this is so stupid and counter productive if you think about sending small parts like knobs or tubes.  :mad:

I do have a business account now, to keep my PCB shipping costs down.
But their online portal is a big mess, it takes at least 5 minutes each individual mailing,
with stupid "required" information like phone number and email from the addressee.
At least they don't complain all my customers have the same phone number 0123456.

I've noticed for a long time it was far cheaper to get small packages from EU than to ship them, similar to what you say 4:1 price ratio.  Most potential EU customers who inquire never buy, and I've suspected it's the shipping quote.  This may or may not relate to the US pulling out of an international postage agreement. 

It is related to new rules with the Universal Postal Union, mainly regarding tax and customs forms (now online and upfront only).

Totally unrelated is not offering merchandise goods in envelopes for private senders.
With my business account I can now ship a PCB (up to 500g) in a letter for EUR 5,45 (+ VAT if receiver is in the EU),
but private senders need to choose a small parcel for EUR  15,89 without tracking or anything, or EUR 19,89 if you want a tracking number.
Before 2019 a registered letter up to 500g was EUR 6,20 for everyone and it didn't matter if it was documents only or a PCB or a transformer.

Btw there are already consequences to this forum

[silent:arts] said:
They didn't ship a PCB as a registered letter a few days ago.
I do ship PCBs in registered letters since many years ...

how did they find out?

funny, that means they must have a contract with them or something  to check every single mail for wrong contents and send it back ??? what a load of work..

gyraf said:
So they define the characteristics of "a document" just how?

Does it have to be on paper (that is sooo much last year..)?

Jakob E.

Just bare paper documents, nothing else is allowed.
Just read through their terms.. when you send something, you generally agree that they are allowed to open your mail and check its content.

living sounds said:
The interesting question is: Will they check what is inside the parcel?

The can x-ray the parcel at anytime, so it is quite easy to see if  there are some Telefunken tubes inside or a love letter. Thats 100% legal.  Its not allowed to read the love letter without a permission from a judge but checking the content of a parcel is daily business.

I am not expert for such things, I hope they will choke on the extra money they will earn. 😀

rock soderstrom said:
The can x-ray the parcel at anytime, so it is quite easy to see if  there are some Telefunken tubes inside or a love letter. Thats 100% legal.  Its not allowed to read the love letter without a permission from a judge but checking the content of a parcel is daily business.

I am not expert for such things, I hope they will choke on the extra money they will earn. 😀

i'm not sure but i think they don't gain a lot. Most people will have to switch to DHL for expensive packages

Ive get parcels from the continent often enough , German postal service is fairly fast ,Netherlands good too ,Spain on one ocassion , about 20euros is the usual for packages from 10 to 20  ,price creeps up incrementally  , but does depend as well on the deal the vendor has with their agent and who's the delivery agent on this side .

I got the impression recently that US vendors on Ebay were being railroaded into jacked up shipping prices to Europe , Global shipping program or something , import duties are handled at the Ebay checkout and your item clear customs automatically , took about ten days for a small parcel (500grm) to get to me from 'middle of nowhere Usa ' ,added 200% to the cost of the items for a finish ,kills all the good in it ,unless your really hungry for a particular item .

I hope all the good isnt taken out of ordering from the Uk to Ireland  soon , an extra levy on everything would be a pain in the arse

weiss said:
i'm not sure but i think they don't gain a lot. Most people will have to switch to DHL for expensive packages

True, there will be less business with private customers. Their foreign "customers" will no longer buy because the shipping is too expensive. see EmRR's experience. Brilliant!

Tubetec said:
Ive get parcels from the continent often enough , German postal service is fairly fast ,Netherlands good too ,Spain on one ocassion , about 20euros is the usual for packages from 10 to 20  ,price creeps up incrementally  , but does depend as well on the deal the vendor has with their agent and who's the delivery agent on this side .

I got the impression recently that US vendors on Ebay were being railroaded into jacked up shipping prices to Europe , Global shipping program or something , import duties are handled at the Ebay checkout and your item clear customs automatically , took about ten days for a small parcel (500grm) to get to me from 'middle of nowhere Usa ' ,added 200% to the cost of the items for a finish ,kills all the good in it ,unless your really hungry for a particular item .

I hope all the good isnt taken out of ordering from the Uk to Ireland  soon , an extra levy on everything would be a pain in the arse

Brexit without deal will be no fun in UK and Ireland.

gyraf said:
So they define the characteristics of "a document" just how?

Does it have to be on paper (that is sooo much last year..)?

Jakob E.

I only can find the new terms in German (and on paper)
For PCBs we could try to say it is a printed document (printed circuit board) ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7165.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back