Noob

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmaktheengineer

Hello new to the forum. Been doing pre fab builds but want to step out and do bigger builds like ssl compressor etc etc. want to do 500 series as well any and all suggestions welcomed.

As of late, I believe you'll attract the most generous and wise commentary if you skip over the SS stuff and shoot straight for tube gear.  :)

Some excellent advice here.
If I were to noob again today here's the order I would start. Nothing shocking, I'm sure the consensus would come up with similar.

1) APP MA1 Preamp. Comes with good documentation. It's 500 series so no PSU needed.
The amplifier is built into the board so no teeny opamp has to be built. And it sounds so good and will instantly add a unique flavor to your recordings. You can't get this tone anywhere else.

2) CAPI VP28 - I jump over the other VP preamps because the 28's uniqueness and awesome sound will stay in your rack forever. You've got 2 discrete opamps to get your practice on with this and you'll also have to be mindful of mechanical structure when assembling the whole. It'd a good bridge to the non-500 stuff.

3) Hairball 1176- so well documented and the help threads are so thoroughly laced with basically every problem that can arise.
You get to build a whole rack piece and deal with mains voltage and are sort of handheld through it because of that forum thread. And you wind up with a real deal 1176. I built mine 5 years ago and never ever record without it. Love this thing.

4) GSSL - I say the GSSL over the Serpent one because now you should be ready to pick your own parts and figure things out for yourself rather than be crutched up by a kit. I mean you're not thrown out into deep end that much because, once again, the help thread is thorough. That help thread might be the most epic here. Gyraf's website is also so essential for perusing and studying schematics that I still constantly go back to it to see how so many legendary designs were made. And Jakob still so selflessly mans his own help threads even though he gets no profit from it- just the sharing of wisdom. Such major props to him.

Dmaktheengineer said:
Hello new to the forum. Been doing pre fab builds but want to step out and do bigger builds like ssl compressor etc etc. want to do 500 series as well any and all suggestions welcomed.
Welcome! You’ll never meet a more cantankerous, but big hearted group.

Someone said something about finishing what you start? Sacrilege!

Back