NS-10 expiry date?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redsandblu

Hi,

since we cannot imagine mixing without Yamaha NS-10's, we've have considered buying a bunch of spare tweeters / woofers BUT ... here it comes ...
does anybody know if these speakers have an "expiry date"?
I mean: if these spare stay boxed for 5 years, will their quality deteriorate?

Thanks for your feedback
R.

I've opened up a spare woofer that was stored in a dry cool storeroom at a studio for at least 5 years and it worked fine (sounded like an NS10 if you like that kind of thing!:grin:). Nothing should happen to the magnets over any human period of time should it??

Justin.

IS there any spare parts available at all these days?

Yes, absolutely. And if you need drivers, order them directly from Yamaha's parts department. It will be a lot cheaper than through a retailer. We've been getting woofers for about $80 (US) a pop. I also asked recently if they were stopping production on the drivers anytime soon, and the sales rep I had on the phone didn't seem to think so. But you never know.

Zach

Yowsers,
just to re-inforce what Clintrubber just said. - When I worked for Roger Quested, we used to advise clients to rotate their Bass-drivers through 180 degrees every year or so, since they often seemed to settle a bit. Kinda makes sense . . . . . Sometimes a rubbing driver could be rectified this way. Mind you, we used to use very compliant drivers, so perhaps there was less "spring" in the surrounds to hold them rigidly in place(?????)

Ho Hum,

ANdy P

Uhh, while you have those drivers anyway, why not put them at work during those years to 'age' your newly bought guitars ? Just tie them to the speakers, throw some low-freq sines and there you go... Instant vintage mellow sounds, or something like that...
:wink:
You'll need to have a isolated shed and a large backyard though to avoid hearing it...

Back