Spectra Sonics 101 PCB mic preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just call Spectrasonics and buy cards from them? They still make them and the owner is a fantastic guy.  I hate to see clones of stuff that is still active, that is how small companies get really hurt.

+1 to not cloning active, available, proprietary equipment.

It’s hard enough to make a living...

Also - and you’ll find other posts from me on the forum saying this same thing - but here goes again-  this is not as easy as you think it is...

it’s not just a copied PCB and a mouser cart, if it was, there would be tons of clones of these cards floating around just like the neve and Flickinger copies...

People have tried in the last - even Flickinger tried to copy them back in the day, I have some of them, i’d be afraid to leave the room with them powered on... Bill Cheney says there a milk crate full of burnt out ones in Ogden that people would return to Spectra asking them to fix...

Trust me - I understand wanting the Spectra thing - there is nothing like it, but you just can’t get there from what you are talking about...

Anyway, just my $0.02...

Timothy

Hey Timothy! It's Justin from Nashville.

Also to the O.P. that desk pictured is in Dan Auerbach's collection. I restored it for him several years ago. I believe he still has it.

mutterd said:
Also - and you’ll find other posts from me on the forum saying this same thing - but here goes again-  this is not as easy as you think it is...

it’s not just a copied PCB and a mouser cart, if it was, there would be tons of clones of these cards floating around just like the neve and Flickinger copies...

People have tried in the last - even Flickinger tried to copy them back in the day, I have some of them, i’d be afraid to leave the room with them powered on... Bill Cheney says there a milk crate full of burnt out ones in Ogden that people would return to Spectra asking them to fix...

Just out of curiosity, what's the catch? Why is it so complicated?
Sensitive component selection?

:)

Luka

shot said:

Luka

If I had to guess based on what I know of the circuit, the bias of the transistors is basically set by hand and the resistor values will be different from card to card (as has been reported).

I didnt know they were still making audio products beyond the 610. I thought they were just doing aviation stuff now.

Edit: Do a little looking and:
http://www.spectra1964.com/preamplifiers/
That 500 series pre looks tempting.

Alive and kicking is Spectra-Sonics and building consoles as well as restoring the old stuff! To the same exact specs as the vintage!!!

They will talk to you about anything I think and if its possible it is just about price and delivery time!

http://www.spectra1964.com/

From the Specta1964 site (Thanks for pointing it out! Eye candy) it seems possible to  simply purchase stand alone 101 and 110 cards.
I just mailed them to ask if it is really the case and if it is possible to put a price tag on it. Will report.

“Spectra 1964” will sell 101’s for $200US new. The 101’s are built to the same spec as the originals.

Their products are all adaptations of the original Dilley designs, mostly based around the 110a as in the STX module, V610, M610 and the 611’s.

They offer a “Classic” 610 based off the original Dilley 610 with  the 601/603/101 topology, but with out the Spectra Sonics name - features a reworked PCB layout, modern transformers and a compact external switching power supply.

The STX 100 is based on a 110ax card, which is Spectra 1964’s rework of the Dilley 110a -  it’s essentially the same just smaller and not edge connector compatable.

It’s a cinemag input transformer, a single 110ax with an IC output stage and and IC quasi balanced output.

The V610, which is their flagship product, is based off Dilley’s 610 but employs the 110ax and has modified gain staging. Also features detented input and output pots, modern transformers and a compact external switching power supply.

Bill Cheney is friendly and approachable, and loves to talk about Spectra!

Hope this helps a bit.
Timothy

mutterd said:
“Spectra 1964” will sell 101’s for $200US new. The 101’s are built to the same spec as the originals.

Their products are all adaptations of the original Dilley designs, mostly based around the 110a as in the STX module, V610, M610 and the 611’s.

They offer a “Classic” 610 based off the original Dilley 610 with  the 601/603/101 topology, but with out the Spectra Sonics name - features a reworked PCB layout, modern transformers and a compact external switching power supply.

The STX 100 is based on a 110ax card, which is Spectra 1964’s rework of the Dilley 110a -  it’s essentially the same just smaller and not edge connector compatable.

It’s a cinemag input transformer, a single 110ax with an IC output stage and and IC quasi balanced output.

The V610, which is their flagship product, is based off Dilley’s 610 but employs the 110ax and has modified gain staging. Also features detented input and output pots, modern transformers and a compact external switching power supply.

Bill Cheney is friendly and approachable, and loves to talk about Spectra!

Hope this helps a bit.
Timothy

$200 is very reasonable for this, I think. I see a pair of racked 101s in my future.

Mail from Bill Cheney from Spectrasonics:
We have 101’s priced at $195.00 and 110A’s at $205.00/US. They include instruction sheets. USPS shipping ranges from $25.00 to $70.00, for shipping 1-12 pieces.
Regards,
Bill

Great news! :p

Luka

Hi Luka,
there is really no catch or complication in doing a 101/110 or 110A card.
Pretty simple circuit and really easy to do, the pcb can even be easily home etched and all the components are available or easily replaced with something better/newer.
Quite a few people DIYed these amplifiers around here in the past to great results, some even in verobard.

Reality is, people in this forum are able to build circuits and gear that are 100 times more complex than this simple and basic circuit

Last edited:
Yeah I read a bit more on this preamp in the meantime and figured out that it is so easily veroboarded. So I actually built one!
I've tried different transistors and it always sounded nice. But I never got to racking that veroboard. I guess I should do that since this is really fine small preamp

Back