Warm Audio WA84

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am prety sure Guosheng would sell this capsule. Just ask for most km84 like.

However i am interrested if the backplate has grid grooves pattern, which is key to km84 off axis response.

I am afraid it would be regular sdc copy with circular groove pattern like in all other capsules originating from that region, including Røde (NT3 for example).

I am actually working on a comparison video on an acoustic guitar between a KM84 clone with the 3u capsule, a modified MXL 603 circuit with the stock capsule, a beyerdynamic MC930 and a Neumann KM184.

Spoiler: 

Modified 603 sounds harsh and kind of plasticy in the top end.  For the money you can buy these for, a decent mic, but it sounds pretty bad in comparison.

KM184 sounds very clear - present and bright top end but no harshness.  Noticeably bright and detailed, but very usable.

Beyer MC930 also sounds very clear, but has more weight to it in comparison to the KM184.  Also no harshness or anything sour/off sounding.

KM84 clone with 3u has even more weight to it than the beyer, with a subdued "woody" high end, and a weighted bass.  It sounds very good and "vintage" in comparison to the KM184

All 3 of these sound pro and would not stand in the way of a top notch production.  The MXL603 is not in the same league. 

However, if you put the 3u capsule on the 603, it actually sounds very close to the beyer.

This is the 3U capsule:

4KLXzXT.jpg

rHBbNuB.jpg

There is something wrong about the capsule you posted. That capsule is marked as an cardioid, but it has to be omni because of the backplate.

I just listened to the clips posted on the Zen Pro Audio Clipalator where they compare the WA84 to a KM84.  I know you should take this sort of thing with a grain of salt, but the WA84 was a real disappointment on every test.  On each test, the KM84 had a vibrant, detailed midrange that wasn't there with the WA84.  Also, you the off axis room bleed on the WA84 contributes to a cloudy, tubby sound.

I was shocked how off the Warm mic sounded because I've heard the WA87  and it isn't that far off from a U87.  It's a tad different, but I've never heard it and thought "dull" or "cheap".

Maybe they got a bad one?
CM

I don't think the metal piece is sealed against the backplate.  These capsules sound consistent with each other and very good in comparison with Neumann in my KM184 and Beyerdynamic in my MC930.

Also, here is the Hypercardioid capsule I have from 3u:

dvYYMwI.jpg

Soundclips  WA84 , Neumann KM84, Schoeps ..
https://www.amazona.de/test-warm-audio-wa-84-stereo-set-kleinmembranmikrofon/

Leslie 123 said:
Soundclips  WA84 , Neumann KM84, Schoeps ..
https://www.amazona.de/test-warm-audio-wa-84-stereo-set-kleinmembranmikrofon/

According to these samples, it sounds close to the current stock version of Oktava MK-012, maybe even worse. I like to use my acoustic guitar for SDC tests and my Schoeps is a usual counterpart for such a task, so I familiar with how it sounds against a bunch of other SDCs with this instrument. It's sad that there is no really heavy strumming, this way the difference would be more prominent.

dbelousov said:
According to these samples, it sounds close to the current stock version of Oktava MK-012, maybe even worse. I like to use my acoustic guitar for SDC tests and my Schoeps is a usual counterpart for such a task, so I familiar with how it sounds against a bunch of other SDCs with this instrument. It's sad that there is no really heavy strumming, this way the difference would be more prominent.
I tried it in friends shop few days ago with my acoustic and tested it against brand new oktava 012 and km184. Oktava sounds a bit muffled and km184 bit brighter. Very nice mic, now i'm thinking to buy one damn... haha

KM184 is overpriced crap, IMO. I borrowed a pair from a friend, who was very disappointed with them. I agree with him. They choke with heavy strumming or aggressive cymbals, HMF/presence region sounds like cardboard, LMF range is shallow, low frequencies don't exist. I had a glace at its circuit and it's an unrepairable epoxy pond.

dbelousov said:
They choke with heavy strumming or aggressive cymbals, HMF/presence region sounds like cardboard, LMF range is shallow, low frequencies don't exist.
Amigo, maybe it's time to visit audiologist.

Leslie 123 said:
Amigo, maybe it's time to visit audiologist.
Amigo, maybe it's time to visit an ophthalmologist. Roll-off from 300 Hz is in the official FR chart. Cardboard sound and unrepairable circuit board are not. You are welcome.

dbelousov said:
Amigo, maybe it's time to visit an ophthalmologist. Roll-off from 300 Hz is in the official FR chart. Cardboard sound and unrepairable circuit board are not. You are welcome.
I was joking about low frequencies being no existent to you but one should hear slight roll off 2dB at E 82.41 Hz(Lowest note of a guitar). Actually this taylored response can be good in a mix so i wouldn't call it crap, it's just taylored design. So lets get back to WA84, it's essentially flat to my ears,  i enjoyed reproduction of my acoustic guitar. Some reports talk about hair darker or weighted tone than KM84 but i suppose all tests used new mikes. So i expect improvement after 100 hours of usage cause it's normal thing for transformers to open up a bit. In my opinion there is no real reason for complain, nice price and darn good musical tool.

Back