Finding a 5 pin rotary pot (or equivalent)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ave Crux

Hi folks, was hoping somebody could help out...

Got me a few of the old Realistic Weatheradio (Model 12-181B). Made a few mods to it so far for recording and oddball effects... but I was hoping to replace a few more things in them...

They have two thumbwheel 5 pin pots. I am hoping to replace them with a rotary one, but I could not find any of them in digi-key, unless I am looking at the wrong place? (Hoping to actually get them at digi-key since I am about to do a bulk order of parts soon and I'd like for all of it to come by in one go).

I'm attaching a photo below on how they look like inside. Any help would be appreciated!

I believe the values are 5k and 10k. (for volume + tuning)

I suppose I should also mention, that the reason why I need it to be rotary pots is so that I can mount them on the side of the enclosure itself, since these thumbwheels are located at the bottom of the radio and it's quite inconvenient to change them during a live performance (for sound art).

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
You can use ordinary pots with 3 pins, 5k is most probably log type, 10k linear. First and last "pin" of original pots are parts of mechanical fastening only, if I see it correctly.

ah, I see. Thanks folks! worried that the first and last pin was connected to other points on the PCB (I suspect it’s the ground) but I suppose it’s fine. thank you!

Ave Crux said:
ah, I see. Thanks folks! worried that the first and last pin was connected to other points on the PCB (I suspect it’s the ground) but I suppose it’s fine. thank you!

I am sure it is,  you can test it out and follow the traces but I suspect they are not there as you are just using it to make it stronger to prevent the pot  and or connection from damage.

The toft console is a perfect example of that. due to design, the channel strip boards were mounted to the face plate.  the original version did not have the extra pot bracing, so many times pots would break in shipment.  when they did the upgrade the pcb's were designed to accommodate new pots that had the mechanical bracing.  the pot not only made the usual 3 pin connections but had a bracket that had 2 pins soldering into the board. it cut down on pot breakage by a ton.

Latest posts

Back