4-channel tube pre. Build progress.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan,
this looks awesome, like your two channel tube pre you build one(two?) years ago.
I like your flawless builds.
I hope you will release your kits for DIY in the future ;)

HI Dan, that is a very high quality build. Well done.

I have one question, about tube sockets. I have been looking for some PCB mounting types for building robust mic pres for use on location. I have found two different types but in both cases the pins are incredibly tight. It is really hard to get the tubes into the sockets. And to get them out you have to squeeze them so  incredibly hard that I am frightened on breaking the tube (or the PCB). What is you experience and which sockets do you use?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
HI Dan, that is a very high quality build. Well done.

I have one question, about tube sockets. I have been looking for some PCB mounting types for building robust mic pres for use on location. I have found two different types but in both cases the pins are incredibly tight. It is really hard to get the tubes into the sockets. And to get them out you have to squeeze them so  incredibly hard that I am frightened on breaking the tube (or the PCB). What is you experience and which sockets do you use?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I use these, which I suspect are the common ones you find on eBay from China: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/socket-9-pin-ceramic-base-aluminum-shield

There are two things I do. For chassis mounts I make sure that the two socket mounting screws are directly screwed into a standoff for added rigidity. The other thing I'll do is use a cheaper/old tube to get the socket loosened up before inserting a good tube.

Most PCB mounted sockets do not have screw mounts, but some do: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/socket-9-pin-ceramic-pc-mount-aluminum-shield

I like the idea of using an old tube to loosen up the sockets. I am glad it is not just me that finds today's tube sockets to be rather stiff. I don't rememeber them being so stiff when I were a lad.

Cheers

Ian

Stiff sockets or not, I've never broken a tube, and I've wiggled enough. Don't worry about it.

But I prefer octals above all (6SN7 and the like). Absolute ruggedness.

Kingston said:
Stiff sockets or not, I've never broken a tube, and I've wiggled enough. Don't worry about it.

It is not so much a worry as an inconvenience. What I do worry about is what all the wiggling might do to the PCB. What I do not understand is why they need to be so stiff. They never used to be decades ago when valves were common.

Cheers

Ian

BluegrassDan said:
Here is a first look. Thanks to everyone for all the input!

https://youtu.be/gPas7pDa8-s

Very good. Nice looking build. Should be popular.

One word of caution with the modushop boxes. One some models ( can't rememeber which) I have found there is no electrical connection to the top and bottom covers due to paint. Obviously this can adversely effect their screening properties so I always scrape a little paint off before screwing then together,

Cheers

Ian

Looking good. Like on you two channel Preamp, I really like the front panel.
Your build is really straight forward and very clean. I’m impressed.

ruffrecords said:
Very good. Nice looking build. Should be popular.

One word of caution with the modushop boxes. One some models ( can't rememeber which) I have found there is no electrical connection to the top and bottom covers due to paint. Obviously this can adversely effect their screening properties so I always scrape a little paint off before screwing then together,

Cheers

Ian

You're absolutely right, Ian. I countersunk the holes of the top and bottom panels with greater precision and had to scrape away some of the anodizing where the bolts connect to the sides. Otherwise, it did not have continuity.

Back